New CHIRP Side Scan 225T for locating tuna

Has anyone used the new CHIRP side scan transducer/s for locating tuna? We generally find birds working bait and then chum the area to get the fish to the boat. The idea of using the side scan is to see if there is fish in the chum line which is missed by traditional down looking sonar. We are not interested in bottom imaging but would be very keen to see if the side scan marks fish to port/stbd and at what range. Any experience or photos would be appreciated.

The CHIRP side-scan is pretty new. I have had the same question but I don't think too many have used the feature particularly looking for Tuna. I haven't seen very many shared photos at all. Like you, I would like see some shared captures hopefully over this fishing season as more get this new feature into action. It might be that you will be the one sharing your findings hopefully with a hull full of Tuna.

I have not seen any pictures or video using the new CHIRP Side-scan for the fishing of pelagics...yet.

But I do know that somebody eventually will...

- Deep Blue.

sdonx,

If you can, please get some pictures that is showing any pelagic fish targets. And good luck out there on Friday.

- Deep Blue

Fishing was slow for us, we did manage to catch three. I did not get any pics of tuna on the side scan that I could say "that's a tuna"
The side scan definably has a learning curved.... or maybe its me. We were fishing 150- 300 feet.
I will be fishing the canyons soon. That's what I am most interested in seeing. What does the side scan look like with no detectable bottom.

I would imagine that it would do the same thing that a traditional sound does and display nothing until it passes a target. Probably have to set limits on how far you want to reasonably look out to the left and right. From what I understand this transducer is capable of looking out about 750ft. One of these days my life will slow down long enough for me to haul my boat and get this transducer installed.

Here’s some pics of the side scan in deep water.
Never felt I could mark fish with it.
At one point me and my mate laughed as we only trusted the traditional downscan chirp.
He commented uts because thats what we are use to.
I have the DFF3D/ Sidescan/ Chirp

I guess I am also just too fossilized to be able to interpret side scan. I have tried to use the DDFF-3D side scan display in relatively shallow water and concluded I have no idea what I am seeing. The only time I saw something meaningful was going through a narrow bridge and seeing the pilings off to the side of the channel.

Has anybody ever found a video or website that has useful instruction on interpreting side scan displays?

c5a493cd-dbe5-48af-a903-e44c5c4da5d1.jpeg

IMG_20230717_074020.jpg

I finally got my sidescan transducer installed on my boat last week. I have found the sidescan image created with the DFF3D sounder to be useless. With the actual sidescan transducer I am impressed. In the first image on the top left is a sunken submarine on the sidescan the second image is the same sub on the DFF3D history. I have a lot of learning to do with this set up, but I believe there potential here once I know what I am looking at.

Mexican Gulf,

The 220-240kHz CHIRP Side-Scan provides the following Echo Color Palettes of: White, Blue, Brown, and Green.

I hope you find this information helpful..? ;)

- Deep Blue

Last edited:
Back