New Boat Furuno TZT3 System

seaquin

Furuno Fan
Have a few questions for the experts on a new TZT3 system I am putting together for a fishing oriented center console, I am coming out of a TZT2 system on my current boat so am I familiar with the user interface. The system will be based around a pair of 16 or 19 inch displays. I understand the radar and navigation capabilities of the system, but I am not certain if the fish finders can do what I ultimately want them to. Can I have one of the displays run the Deep Impact amp on a low/medium 3kw transducer, then use the other display to run a high 1kw transducer, both chirp of course. The plan is to also have a DFF3d in the system. Is al of this possible?

Also, can the internal fish finders on the TZT3 units lock at a specific frequency, say 88 or 107kHz, or do they only sweep across the frequencies?

thank you in advance

The answer to your first question, yes all that is possible.

seaquin":7mqf29d9 said:
Also, can the internal fish finders on the TZT3 units lock at a specific frequency, say 88 or 107kHz, or do they only sweep across the frequencies?

As of right now, if you have the DI box you can pick your desired frequency. I believe there is a plan with future software to add the ability to pick your frequency using the internal TZT3 CHIRP sounder but I am not sure how far along those plans are.

You can run two sounders and one multi-beam total/maximum on a network. Internal sounders being used are counted and ones without transducers are not. Yes you can run two internal sounders at once but you must be careful they they are not on the same freq or a harmonic of each other or you are bound to get interference.

I have two TZT 3 16s, each of which has a 1kW B175 transducer connected to it. One is high frequency CHIRP and the other is low frequency CHIRP. I also have a DFF-3D and a TT 2 12 at my tower helm.

I can select the low or high frequency 1kW CHIRP sounder on any of the displays as well as the DFF-3D at the same time. The only limitation of this configuration is that you cannot run high and low CHIRP side-by-side on the same display as you would be able to do if both transducers were connected to a single MFD.

You did not say which transducer you planned to use with the DI-FFAMP. If it is a dual frequency transducer, you would not be able show the high or low frequency sounder display from the DI-FFAMP on the same MFD as the 1kW CHIRP connected to your other MFD. That's because the way you switch between them is by choosing the sounder source. In my case, the low frequency is on the starboard MFD and the high is on the port MFD. So on any of my three MFDs, if I select the port TZT 16 as the source for example, it will show the high frequency.

I hope that makes sense.

This isn't much of a problem in real life. What I do much of the time while fishing is run the DFF-3D in full screen on my port MFD and run the low or high CHIRP screen on the starboard with the chart display on the other half.You can only show the 3D history display from the DFF-3D in full screen, which the one I find most helpful as a complement to the regular CHIRP sounder.

Thanks for the real world example Quitsa. The DI-FFAMP will be connected to a CM599LM or similar depending on how we are able to install it. So one display whoud be conncted to the DI-FFAMP for low and medium, with the other connected to the DFF-3D module and the 1k high transducer.

The plan is to be running the DFF-3D and either the 3k LM or the 1k high. I really don't see a scenario where I would be running the 3k and 1k at the same time as I want to be watching the wide view of the surface and looking at bottom on a separate screen, so depth will dictate which transducer is in use. Ideally DFF-3D full screen and the other split for chart plotter and bottom or chart plotter and radar.

Finally time to get this system spec'd out and installed! I see Airmar now makes a 165T/2kw chirp combo transducer, would I notice a big difference in transducer performance at around 2000' with the 2kw vs 3kw? Also, I am torn on radar, I had a DRS12A on my last boat and couldn't have be happier with its performance, not the dilemma is to stick with that unit or go to the 100 or 200 watt solid state units, does anyone have any real word experience to compare them?

Back