New autopilot help

I'm getting ready to purchase everything needed to set up autopilot. I'm a little confused on what I need vs what is not needed. I believe there might be an item in the "kits" that are sold that I don't need. Trying not to spend extra money. Let me start by stating what I have on my boat and hopefully you guys can advise what I will need.
  • Mechanical Yamaha 300 4 strokes (twins)
  • Dual Seastar cylinders HC5345-3 with standard Seastar front mount helm
  • TZT16F and SCX-20....DRS12 (probably irrelevant)
I believe that is all the relevant information needed. I get confused with the kits that come with PG700 since I have an SCX20.

I believe the Octopus pump PUMPOCT10-12 is the right size, but I want to make sure. I believe the NavPilot 300 is the cheaper option.

Now is when I get more confused.....I believe I still need a FAP3012 - Processor Unit, NMEA connections and whatever else I may be forgetting.

Basically, based on what I have on my boat, what would be the most cost effective way to purchase an autopilot system.

TIA,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for providing the great information. The HC5345-3 shows to hold 8.34 cubic inches for each cylinder.
That means with you having two cylinders your pump needs to push 16.68 cubic inches.
That puts you at using the PUMPOCT16-12 pump. The PUMPOCT10-12 would be a tad too small.
1678827500764.png

Being that you have an good source of heading (SCX20) your best value for your needs would be the Navpilot 300.

Here is a packing list of what it comes with...

Basically you would drop the control head and processor down to your existing NMEA 2000 bus with your SCX20 and TZT3 display. You would add in your pump and connect to the pilot processor and run through the dockside setup in the water. If you run into questions just give the support folks a call. You don't need the 700 series pilot and the Navpilot 300 also comes with a bluetooth remote and a much better price point for your needs.

Make sure you buy the Autopilot that does not come with a rate compass. Should be about $1,695. Also, it's probably worth getting an Octopus hose kit. That made installation much easier for me. I would also suggest at least considering the SafeHelm 2 sensor. While you have the hydraulic system open, you may as well go ahead and install it now so you don't have to deal with it later. It's worth it in my opinion. I just did the install a couple weeks ago and it was very easy.

Make sure you buy the Autopilot that does not come with a rate compass. Should be about $1,695. Also, it's probably worth getting an Octopus hose kit. That made installation much easier for me. I would also suggest at least considering the SafeHelm 2 sensor. While you have the hydraulic system open, you may as well go ahead and install it now so you don't have to deal with it later. It's worth it in my opinion. I just did the install a couple weeks ago and it was very easy.
That's really helpful feedback, Furuno carries two hose kits: the generic one (OC1-7SU-K42) and the one for Mercury Verados (OC1-7SU-K34).

- Maggy

Thanks guys, these little items/kits are the things that will save me delays and having to order more stuff after the fact.

I notice in the parts list it comes with NMEA cable but I assume I need to buy a connector?

If you don't have a couple of open tees on the bus, yes you might need to get a few NMEA 2000 bus items. You will need two NMEA drop cables. (one for the processor to the bus and one for the control head display to the bus.

If you don't have a couple of open tees on the bus, yes you might need to get a few NMEA 2000 bus items. You will need two NMEA drop cables. (one for the processor tot he bus and one for the control head display to the bus.

Thanks, once again....this is why I come here first! lol. Hate to have everything semi-installed only to find out I'm missing a couple small items.

Back