NEED CHARTS AND UNLOCK CODES

A

Anonymous

(SORRY BUT 'CAPS LOCKED' KEY IS STUCK ON THIS KEYBOARD)
HI ALL AND MERRY CHRISTMAS. THIS IS MY FIRST POST AND I AM NEW TO NAVNET. I AM THE PROUD OWNER AND OPERATOR OF A MFD12 BOUGHT IN THE USA. SYSTEM ID IS ******* AND THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE UNIT IS 4368-5470 AND MY REGISTRATION NUMBER IS D43M62E759. I CAN NOT GET "http://www.maxsea.com/download_unlock_code_pool" TO ACCEPT MY SYSTEM ID NUMBER FOR THE UNLOCK CODES. HAVE TRIED NUMEROUS TIMES, IT IS A NO GO, AND I AM PRETTY SURE THE SYSTEM ID NUMBER IS RIGHT SINCE THE 'MY NAVNET' REGESTRATION ACCEPTED IT. PLEASE I NEED HELP ON THIS.
ALSO I NEED TO PURCHASE BOTH RASTER AND VECTOR CHARTS FOR THE REPUBLIC OF PANAMA. THE NATIONAL DEALER HERE IN PANAMA SAYS HE ONLY SERVICES LARGE SHIPS SO HE DOESN’T HAVE THE TIME TO DEAL WITH ME. PLEASE RECOMMEND CHARTS FOR THE AREA AND WHO CAN SELL ME THE 2G SD CARDS WITH THE CHART INFO ALREADY TO DOWNLOAD SINCE THEY DON'T SELL 2G SD CARDS IN PANAMA BUT I CAN HAVE THE CARDS MAILED TO FLORIDA AND THEN HAVE THEM BROUGHT DOWN BY PRIVATE MAIL SERVICE IF I KNOW WHERE TO BUY THEM.
I TRIED FURUNO TECH HELP BUT IT DOESN’T LOOK LIKE I WILL GET ANY HELP FROM THEM THIS YEAR - Response
Thank you Antonio for contacting Furuno USA, Inc. Your contact information indicates that you are located outside the United States. Your question will be reviewed and forwarded to the appropriate person. Your response time may vary as your question may have to be forwarded to Furuno's headquarters based in Japan.
Discussion Thread
Customer By Web Form 12/28/2012 06:25 AM

2GB SD cards should be readily available in Panama. Go to a store that sells digital cameras and you will find them. If the MFD has the latest software (v.2.07) then you can use up to 32GB SDHC cards. It is a lot easier to update charts using the larger card, so go for a 32GB card. If you don't have 2.07 then you will need a 2GB card to use for the process of upgrading to 2.07, and after that use a 32GB card for charts.

You will need to have a card reader to use with your computer. Some laptops have SD slots in them; otherwise use a USB card reader. Be certain to get one that can read at least 32GB SDHC cards; I would recommend one of the newer ones that support SDXC while you're at it.

The Furuno/MapMedia system is designed so that you can download software updates and charts directly from the server to your computer, for transfer to the MFD with the SD card. It is a very good system. Rather than trying to buy SD cards with the charts on them, learn to use the system.

Unfortunately, the chart vendors of the world often price charts differently in different markets. The US tends to be a low-cost market, so there are often restrictions on selling to non-nationals. I hasten to add that I do not know the policy of Furuno/MapMedia in this regard, but I would hazard a guess that it is the case here as well. Whether that is enforced based on the customer's address, or where the unit was purchased, or the ID I don't know - I'm just a fellow customer. I would recommend that you try to get clarification as to where you can purchase chart unlock codes.

CarinaPDX is correct that purchases/support should be conducted with your local distributor. In some cases, you find customers who import/export equipment from other countries creating what is called a "Gray Market" situation. When this happens, the local dealer/distributor isn't as helpful because they didn't sell the product. Unfortunately due to the holiday weekend I can’t look into your case deeper.

If you have never purchased charts for your unit, it will not show up on the MaxSea web site for downloading of unlock codes. If you have purchased charts, then it should. Maybe the number has been entered wrong. Please note that System ID numbers do not have the letter O. Anything that looks like an O will be a 0 (zero).

If your local distributor doesn’t wish to sell the chart, I am sure that a Furuno USA dealer will consider it. The chart unlock code can be e-mailed, so it isn’t like exporting of hardware. You would need to speak directly with the dealer. If they are willing to accept your payment method/order; they will need the chart part number you want to order, and your system ID#.

Below is a direct link to locate a Furuno USA dealer.
http://www.furunousa.com/Support/DealerLocator.aspx

Happy New Year!
Thanks for your replies. It takes time to read and then write an email to help someone and I appreciate your effort. The Furuno Dealer here in the Republic of Panama (only one) really is busy with ships and I can’t say I can blame him for not screwing around with $300 unlock codes when most of his jobs are in the thousands of dollars and all are rush jobs because it is expensive for ships to sit still. In any case I followed your advice (thanks again) and have downloaded the charts (Vector & Raster) for Panama from the Mapmedia site and installed them on the MFD12 without a hitch, the system works great. However I can’t easily find someone to sell me the unlock codes. I have been emailing different marine equipment distributors in the USA to see if they can email me the unlock codes but I haven’t received any replies yet- due to the holiday spirit I hope! At one time I was considered an American by virtue of birthplace (Camp Lejeune, N.C.) and I did do 2 tours in Vietnam as a U.S. Marine 2nd Battalion 4th Marines (1968 Tet Offensive at Dai Do and the 1972 Easter Offensive) and my dad who is still kicking here in Panama was a Marine in WWII (wounded at Guadalcanal and Okinawa) also my Grandad was a marine who saw action in Haiti and Nicaragua before the big war but I really don’t know if that counts for anything or if I still qualify anymore the way things are now. I would hate to think I was on the Homeland security blacklist and couldn’t get maps for Panama due to restrictions on selling to non-nationals! Plus I am such an ignorant old grunt that I don’t speak any Japanese at all so if they want me to communicate with Furuno Japan I guess I am out of luck. I run a sportfishing business here in the Republic of Panama and own 4 boats of various sizes, one of which I am outfitting with an MFD12 - and boy, would I dearly love to get it operational for a 4 day offshore charter I have starting on the 6th. Any advice and/or help on getting the codes short of violating the law of nations or respected global treaties or any international and local laws would be greatly appreciated. –

Oh Yeah,
The System ID number is being keyed in properly and it is the correct one but I have not ever purchased any unlock codes. This is the first time I try to buy charts since the unit is new and was bought in the USA and only had the charts that it ships with (USA charts). As a client my observation on this is that the MFD12 and related equipment is just outstandingly great and the only hitch is that I could not believe how easy and efficient everything was (installation, hook up to dff1, transducer, gps antenna and especially Furuno support etc.) until I got to the unlock codes thing. You Guys at Furuno just have to try and streamline this as it doesn't seem your dealers want to mess with the unlock codes or charts selling side of the equation which is not at all an issue unless you are overseas. There may be so few folks trying to purchase unlock codes for overseas charts for Navnet 3d that most Furuno dealers have never dealt with it and are not inclined to expend time/energy on the matter. Therefore why not just let us few buy direct online from Mapmedia or wherever.

BINGO!!!!!
THANKS SVJEORGIA -
JUST GOT A REPLY FROM THEM SO IT LOOKS LIKE I AM GOOD TO GO!!

Thank you for your interest in Defender!
It is possible. I will find pricing on the central America chart for you
on Wednesday. I will send you another email on Wednesday.
Regards,
Eric Durrschmidt
Senior Sales Representative
(800) 628-8225 ; (860) 701-3400 x 107
Fax: (800) 654-1616; (860) 701-3424
edurrschmidt@defender.com
www.defender.com
*For your protection, Defender asks that no personal information
be sent via email. This includes, but is not limited to, credit card
numbers*
Call Center
Monday – Friday 8am – 6pm