NavPilot 711C and older peripherals

S

sybaris

Hi, I previously posted a question asking if it is possible to use the PG-500 heading sensor with a NavPilot 711 and now I am asking about the 711C

Now I am also curious to ask if you can use the older display unit FAP-5011, and the older rudder sensor FAP-6112 with the NavPilot 711C.

The reason I am asking is because my NavPilot 500 control unit is not working properly. I bought a second hand control unit on eBay but it was totally dead. Now I have come to the conclusion that I will need to buy a new autopilot.

My choice is between the Furuno NavPilot 711C or a B&G autopilot (I now have a B&G Zeus chartplotter). If I can use my old display unit, heading sensor, and rudder sensor as "spare parts" in case anything breaks on a long passage then buying the NavPilot 711C makes perfect sense to me. If not, I can really choose any other brand. Having said that my NavPilot 500 has been very good for 12 years so I am really happy to stay with a Furuno.

I am also assuming that the NavPilot 711C CAN-bus is compatible with the B&G NMEA 2000 bus.

Much appreciate all feedback.

There is no oil in the FAP6112. I heard that some had tried to fill with oil to try making them more resistant to water when placed is very wet installs. My guess that you got one that someone was attempting such an experiment. I couldn't begin to tell you what they would have filled with. You might want to talk to the previous owner or installer who might have been involved.

Back