NavPilot 711 upgrade

steven.b

Hi all, I have been updating my system. From NavNet to TZT2. Everything including radar, transducer etc. are working which is great.
But I am stuck on the new control panel for 711C. First problem it is in French and second it keeps scrolling through different screens. Had a quick look through the manual and this forum. The manual is quite clear. If I was installing from new it would give the option. But this is an existing system with a new control panel. I tried the option described in a forum but couldn't get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think if you reset the unit to factory default, it will allow you to choose the language and start over with the installation. Push and hold the menu button, then press the control knob three times. Then select "Menu Systeme" and "Tout Effacer." It should reboot and start by givng you the choice of language, which will allow you to switch to English.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately no luck. I did try that sequence. It appears as though there is a ghost in the system. While I have some control it appears to scroll through the screens. I have checked my connections. Can confirm that there is a termination on the rear of the control unit but still a little lost. Any further advice is appreciated.

It sounds like it is in DEMO mode (in French) because the software of the control head and processor are not matching up. It will go into demo for boat shows when it doesn't clearly see a processor to talk to. It would be recommended to check the wiring, ensure your control bus has the proper termination and to update the software on the pilot and control head to ensure they are at compatible versions so they might properly talk. Whoever got it most likely changed it to French but that won't change the core issue.

Thanks Johnny, that makes sense. Have checked all wires into the processor (except the power wires which I’ll check today). I assume not a fuse in the processor as the control panel operational. But can check that too. How do I initiate a software update?

Happy to say the processor (running well from 2010) powers up from the new FAP-7011C. And I tried to commence the advised update software procedure from the website. Unfortunately my new windows computer does not follow the (assume XP process). We are hoping to sail in 2 days and running out of options :( so any help would be appreciated.

Upgrades and boat work is never recommended right before a trip when you are under the gun. If you can't get it updated you might reach out to your local dealer for service.

Back