NavPilot 511

tyee chaser

Hi all, well after several years of flawless operation my Furuno Auto-Pilot stopped functioning this morning.

I believe i have a Furuno NavPilot 511,VX2 Head unit but not sure of the computer model # at this time.

I notice after i turned on my electronics that my rudder reference on the NavPilot indicated that the rudders were hard over to port, and if i turned my wheel to starboard the reference still showed rudders hard over to port.
Once underway, if i switched the NavPilot to "NAV" my boat immediately went hard over to starboard.
I checked the linkage to rudder sensing unit which was secure, then checked that the rudder sensing unit was moving in parallel to the rudders & it was.
After re-booting & scrolling thru the display several times I found that the steering wheel was also locking up every time i was in "NAV" mode where the wheel was able to freely rotate when in NAV mode.
once back dock side, if i switch to NAV mode, i get a " RUDDER DRIVE ERROR "

so my questions are
- where / how do i start the troubleshooting
- what additional info do i need
- is this a DIY type job
- has anyone ever heard of this problem before

rgds

mike

I would first check that the proper termination plug is on the back of the control head. I would re-do the dockside setup and run the rudder test. If the rudder is still not reading correctly it sounds like your RRU has gone bad. I would recommend you contact tech support for a bit more troubleshooting over the phone before replacing it.

Thanks for the quick reply JE,

i didn't do the dock side set up as i couldn't find it in the manual

i did check all connections on the head unit & computer & everything else relate to my Furuno set up, all appear to secure with no abnormalities noticed .

i performed the rudder test, i could hear the pump start & the rudders/RRU went hard over to starboard i believe, then after only a few seconds i heard an alarm tone & the message " RUDDER TEST FAILED " appear on the 511 display.

I'm thinking it might a defective FAP-6112

- what is dock side set up ?
-is there anything else i can do ?

rgds

mike

I'll call MD in the morning

If this is an inboard RRU you can disconnect it from the pilot and use an OHM meter to test it. Doing this with Tech Support on the phone would be best.

Johnny Electron":1em02nrk said:
If this is an inboard RRU you can disconnect it from the pilot and use an OHM meter to test it. Doing this with Tech Support on the phone would be best.

yup did that.. only got an OHM reading when i moved the RRU to port.. starboard is dead... so i ordered new RRU on friday .. appreciate your assistance sir

cheers

mike

Back