Navpilot-300 questions

wkearney99

Furuno Super Fan
I'm going to replace most of my NN3D setup. It's had a number of devices connected to it over the years and it's time for a fresh start.

I have an older Simrad AC20 Autopilot that has had an intermittent rudder sensor connection for a while. I plan on replacing it and am looking at the Navpilot-300.

The existing Simrad setup has two AP26 stations, one at the lower helm and the other up on the flybridge.

I want to confirm, the Navpilot-300 setup will handle two displays.

One FAP-3011 at each upper/lower location.

The manual mentions the PG-700. I have one in the boat already. There is also an Airmar H2183. Along with an Airmar WX220 and a Furuno GP330B.

I've had some off/on inconsistencies with how my MFD12 units displayed my heading underway. I'm uncertain if it was the PG-700 providing faulty data or not. I've configure and re-configured the MFD12's to use the PG700 and yet that sometimes doesn't 'stick'. I'm no longer trying to solve that.

Will the SCX20 satellite compass unit provide the same (or better) data than the PG-700?

Or should I keep the PG-700?

Would the SCX20 provide sufficiently better positioning information than the GP330B, when considering it'd be integrated with a TZT316 and Navpilot-300 setup?

I want to confirm, the Navpilot-300 setup will handle two displays.
Yes the Navpilot 300 can use up to three control heads and three remote controllers.

The manual mentions the PG-700. I have one in the boat already. There is also an Airmar H2183. Along with an Airmar WX220 and a Furuno GP330B.
Then order the Navpilot 300 not the Navpilot 300/PG so you don't get a compass that you don't need. Between the Airmar and the Furuno compass use the Furuno for your pilot. I know for a fact that the Airmar won't work well for the pilot due to compass swing upon pitching and rolling of the boat.

I've had some off/on inconsistencies with how my MFD12 units displayed my heading underway. I'm uncertain if it was the PG-700 providing faulty data or not. I've configure and re-configured the MFD12's to use the PG700 and yet that sometimes doesn't 'stick'. I'm no longer trying to solve that.
The compass location is most likely an issue. Your pilot will only be as good as your heading. You will need to get the PG700 working well or consider something like a SCX20 SAT compass. As I said, you don't want to use the Airmar for the pilot.

Will the SCX20 satellite compass unit provide the same (or better) data than the PG-700?

Or should I keep the PG-700?

Would the SCX20 provide sufficiently better positioning information than the GP330B, when considering it'd be integrated with a TZT316 and Navpilot-300 setup?
As stated, the pilot is only as good as your heading. If you sort out the PG700 it will work well. Nothing works as well as a SAT compass because it doesn't have any heading compensation time. You will get better pilot, ARPA, and better overlay.

Excellent, you've answered my questions, thanks!

The curious thing about the PG-700 was it's installed exactly as the specs recommend. It's at the waterline in a position about 1/3 of the way from the bow, with no metal near it. I suspect it had more to do with the MFD12s than the PG-700 but as you probably experienced, the MFD12 didn't give a lot of easy to diagnose information. It was there but it was often painful to dig through the config menu to extract it.

Do the TZT3 and Navpilot-300 do a better job of selecting specific sources for this data?

The other SCX20 features regarding ARPA and overlay are what's driving me to consider it.

Do the TZT3 and Navpilot-300 do a better job of selecting specific sources for this data?

NN3D will switch sources of data if the primary (preferred) drops for any reason. Once it switches to another source, it remains on the other source until the unit is power cycled then it will go back to looking that the preferred (if operational). The TZT/TZT2/TZT3 do this differently. If the primary goes offline, it will switch to a secondary source but if the primary goes back online, the units will immediately switch back to the primary source of data without any need to power cycle or shut down.

Do I 'have to' change the pump? I've had a working Simrad setup in there for a while and the pump has been working properly. Can the 300 interface to an existing pump, or does it require something specific?

A good working existing pump is fine to use as long as the current it pulls falls within the limits of the Navpilot 300. If more current is needed, then some people might need to move up to the higher Navpilot 711C.

Are there any specs or run-downs listed somewhere that would give me baselines on checking this? The boat's not near me right now otherwise I'd eyeball the existing pump.

The Navpilot 300 can support pumps at or below 10 amps of continuous draw and 20 amp of turn on current for 5 seconds or less. Suitable sized pumps are listed under the accessories of the Navpilot 300 models. Existing pumps should be looked at for model makings or value of amps used. Larger pumps might require moving up to the Navpilot 711c or other product.

Hi, I just got my Navpilot 300 and am installing it, I have finished installing the hardware .
I was trying to upgrade software,
Things were fine and just before it finish the upgrade, I turned off the power supply to the processor accidentally.
Now am not able to use the nave pilot
The controller screen is saying “communication error with processing unit”
Each time I try to boot the unit
Any help?

Johnny Electron":b0yipp1i said:
The Navpilot 300 can support pumps at or below 10 amps of continuous draw and 20 amp of turn on current for 5 seconds or less.
The existing pump is a Simrad RPU80. The specs for it state 2.4 to 6 amp power consumption. Are there any known issues with this pump being controlled from a Navpilot 300? Not that I'd construe it as an endorsement, rather just asking if there's any known reason to NOT connect to this one.

Back