NavPilot 300 Error Code

HenrysCreek

Yesterday my NavPilot 300 went out on the way back in from fishing. Received a "Rudder Angle Error *9" code and it went to STBY and would not reengage. Steering in STBY mode remained fine and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

I've tried rebooting the NavPilot 300, PG-700 and Controller by removing power and letting them sit for a while, to no avail.

Edit to add:
Engine: Single Cummins 5.8 QSB
Nav: Tzt215
Hdg: PG-700
POSN: GP-330B

PG-700 Calib, Status and Check lights are all green.

Also, the NavPilot 300 shows a green "hard to starboard" indication when in STBY mode. This doesn't change when underway and navigating. (turning to Port doesn't change the indicator)

Reading the installation guide (and some of the threads below), I tried to reset to factory settings by holding down the "tools/setting button" while pressing the STBY button 3 times. It won't enter the initialize mode and I receive what sounds like a rejection beep when the STBY button is pressed. So you ask, "What does a rejection beep sound like?" HAHA
It sounds like the button entry isn't being accepted..... ;)

Troubleshoot guide says to call a factory tech for service. Not even sure if I have a Furuno dealer near my location, so thought I'd try here first.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be happening?
Thanks.

It sounds like you have a RRU connected to the pilot. The asterisk means out of range, so it would seem you have an rru reading well outside the original settings when it was last setup via dockside. Either that, or someone changed the settings to say it has an RRU when in fact it doesn't have one connected.

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe it has a FA61112 connected, but will verify. That doesn't show up in the connected devices, if I understand, that's an analog device.

Any other thoughts on how to get into the Initial Setup mode?

Do you have a Navpilot 300 or a much older pilot like the FAP300? If you have the Navpilot 300, I recommend you calling tech support on the phone and have them talk you through the process if needed. The buttons must be done quickly. If you press the menu button and go have lunch before hitting the others, the menu will come up and you will never get into the setup menu. One must press menu button and immediately be hitting that standby button three times quickly.

It’s a NavPilot 300.

Talked to Clayton yesterday @ tech support. He was awesome and has me on the right track. It’s definitely an RRU issue.
Need to have someone else on the boat the do the ohm meter test, which will determine if the unit has gone bad.
Thanks.

Back