Navpilot 300 Dock Trial

Nube

Good evening,

I am installing a Navpilot 300 on an existing autopilot pump. In the dock trial setup I get to rudder test. Then it gets complicated.
The pump I’m using is a Wood Freeman 521 A, on a 531 pump connected to a Comnav CT3.
I have installed and configured the FAP-6112 RRU.
In the rudder test it will go past the rudder limit of 28 degrees, hit 35 degrees and dead head the pump blowing the fuse in the motor controller. This is after progressively swinging the rudder more and more and faster and faster. Probably 30 seconds into the test.
It seems strange that it will go past the rudder limit and keep the pump running.

Current settings:

Rudder limit port and starboard 28 degrees
Auto rudder limit 23 degrees
Manual rudder limit 28 degrees

I have gone over the settings and dialed them back to keep from dead heading and find myself at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If that avatar photo is your boat, the pump is likely going to pull to much current for the NP300. The NP300 is designed for small center console boats. While it will take an RRU, the pump must stay below the 10 amp requirement. Do you have a spec sheet on this "531 pump"?

@Johnny Electron the pump is a 15 amp continuous, 20 amp intermittent. The NP300 is connected to a Comnav CT3 motor controller to take the additional load. The max load I have seen is .5 amps. If I understand correctly the CT 3 is intended to run older higher amperage autopilot pumps off modern autopilots.

Not something I have seen used nor something we would recommend. A boat like yours would normally need a NP711C.

NP300= 10 amp continuous, NP711C 25 amp continuous. The NP711C also offers solenoid support for even much larger amp pumps to be driven by solenoids. (NP300 has no solenoid support)

NP711C also offers clutch signal support and special mode for sail boats along with support for both 2000 and 0183. 711C has jog lever remote support as well. It is more than a pretty face. Each has their niche. Glad to be of help.

Back