NavNet 3D GPS displaying wrong date

superjet

IMG_8521.JPGHi All,

Have a NN3D set up with a MFD8 and 12 and a GP 330b antenna. The antenna is getting correct positional data and time however the date is wrong. I've looked up the source of date and time and it is listing the GP 330b as the source. Please see the image below... GPS thinks it's July 2002... Any idea how to trouble shoot would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like its a problem with GPS rollover. Is your GP330B serial number older than this serial number 4457-7001? if it is then you will need to replace that with a newer GP330B, as there is no update to fix the older GPS330B rollover.

Hope this helps

Thanks. Can you tell me the easiest way to find the SN? Currently not at the boat but will look this weekend.

Same problem here with a GP-320B with a S/N in the 4447- range.

1) Is there some official announcement from Furuno that I missed with this information?
2) Besides an incorrect date, is the GP-320B still safe to navigate with? Is the position always going to remain accurate?

Thanks!

It will still give you position but the time and date will be off. So anything that's relying on time and date from the GP320B wont be correct. There isn't an update for that old of model to fix the rollover, so if you wanted to fix the date/time you would have to upgrade to the newer production GP330B.

Hope this helps! :D

Wow, this was a sleeper issue that just shook my world!

I leave in about 3 weeks for a 5 month cruise. My NN3D gets GPS from two data sources -- unfortunately, both are Furuno. I have a GP-32 as a backup, and a GP-330B as primary. Both are broken. I have limited time to get this fixed, and I use the tide features daily when anchoring in northern ports with 20+ foot tides.

Are there any solutions other than a new receiver (actually, two for north of $1K plus labor)? Since accuracy of date and time isn't terribly critical (plus or minus several minutes is just fine), is it possible to turn off the "use date from GPS" in the setup wizard data sources and then manually enter the date and time? Sort of like your phone still knows the date/time when out of cell service? Or will it automatically use the GPS every time it comes on line?

Neither of the manuals for these devices stated a programmed EOL date, which makes me very nervous about buying any more gear from Furuno. My GP-330B, for example, is fully functional with no "obsoleteness" other than the factory programmed EOL date -- the recommended unit to replace it is a..... GP-330B! Since Furuno doesn't publish hard-coded expiration dates on their products, I'm nervous about spending $400 to buy a functionally identical unit with the software "fixed." It's not even an upgrade! One has to wonder what the unpublished EOL date is for the new unit (obviously, the next rollover in 19 years -- but is there another secret date?).

It sure would have helped a little if Furuno had been more vocal on this impending disaster! I was reading a post here on the forum, where a user had a question in September about power to his GP-32 -- the rep answered the question without mentioning that the unit was programmed to die in 4 months! Talk about keeping it under the radar....

The issue with roll over is due to the old sats in orbit and their limitations which happens with all manufactures because of the challenge. GPS location doesn't stop working, it involves the date which is unfortunate.

Back