Navnet 1724 not communicating with AIS after main board repl

Mickeyrouse

I recently had the main circuit board on my 1724 Navnet radar replaced. It’s making pictures quite nicely now.
However,, it is not interfacing with the FA-50 AIS. We’re transmitting, as our name and symbol show up on MarineTraffic.com, vessel tracker, etc., but we’re not getting any targets displayed on the plotter. I suspect something is amiss in the set-up. In that menu the AIS option appears to be active ( not grayed-out) and I can edit the number of targets, target range etc. but when I check the screen for port configuration, port 1 shows GPS and Port 3 references NMEA device.
I have no other devices, so I have no idea what that refers to. Since the board was a donor board from a dis-used system, I’m wondering if the set-up on that system accounts for that.
The issue of course is to get the AIS hand-shaking with the plotter. How do I do this?

Both the NavNet and the FA50 have Connection and activity lights for each at the hub? You have current software I would assume? Are you running the same cables as before? If running the same cables as before and you have good lights at the hub; you might try turning on target tracks to help you spot nearby targets.

I assume when you say “ hub” you mean the 1724 display. I find no lights indicating connection to any devices. Yes, I am using the same cabling.

How is your FA50 AIS connected to the display? Normally there would be a hub in between. Your FA50 is directly connected to the display? What does the cable look like you are using between the two?

It’s been some time since the software was updated. I need to be refreshed on that drill. Do you have any idea as to the date of the latest revision?

If by “ hub” you mean a hardware device I have never had any such thing. The FA-50 has been plugged directly into the back of the 1724. It has worked just fine for the prox. 10 years I’ve had it, until now.

The cable has circular multi-pin screw-on connector at the display side, suitable for mating up with the port on the display, which it has done in the past.

The current software will depend on if your unit is programmed for Navionics or C-map. Most users now are using C-map because Navionics stopped making chips for the Vx2. C-map software is at 4.03 for current software. If the cable has been used for 10 years, it sounds like you have the correct one. The question is if it is still good. You might have to ohm out the pins for good connections. The FA50 has blue flash for transmit light every 3 mins or so? It has flashing RX light? It has no Red error light, correct?

That’s how the lights are flashing. I realize cables can fail unexpectedly, but AIS was hand-shaking before the repair.

Sounds like the AIS is working. There isn't any easy way to test the network cable other than using a multimeter and inspecting the condition of the pins at both ends. I know it might be silly but check that the FA50 network cable is going into the "Network" port on the Vx2. There are three 6-pin ports back there, that the cable will fit on, and it is easy to get it connected to the wrong port, if connecting it blindly. Being things were working before and it is transmitting; I highly suspect this might be the issue.

Back