Nav pilot 300 processor unit

Oldbert35

Just used pilot 300 for first weekend in the keys. Ran great south, the next day with pilot on the vessel just turned in circle and the 300 and the MFD16 read DRIVE UNIT IS OVERLOADED. Had the installer come out, he reversed the wires on pump to check that and it did was was supposed to do. The pilot only turn in one direction. So he pulled the processor unit FAP 3012 to send back.

Calling repair shop in Washington for about 1.5 hrs and still just voice mail any ideas

[/u]read [/quote]

Ok, first I’ll get the pump checked to see how many amps being are being used while turning each way.

Weird cause that’s the pump GPS store recommended when I bought all the gear.

Guess the Oct pump will be sufficient.

Boat has a pair of 350 Yam with a ram on each

Just got a response from the GPS store. According to them the Furuno pump 17-12 is the correct pump for the Sea Star HC 6750 rams on the vessel. I have a total of 2 rams one each of the Yamahas. Could anyone confirm this pump the correct one.

Oldbert35":3u9e5xib said:
I have a total of 2 rams one each of the Yamahas. Could anyone confirm this pump the correct one.

Generally, if you added up the total volume of all the hydraulic fluid in those rams, would it be between 14 cubic Inches to 25 cubic Inches in volume? If so yes, if it's less get a smaller pump.

Hope this clarifies, :sail

- Maggy

Oldbert35":1tkhqkam said:
How would I go about to figure the total volume.

You would go over to SeaStar's website and look up the ram volume:

HC6750Capture.JPG

One Ram per motor

Count the number of rams, in this case 2

Than multiply the volume by the number of rams.

So 8.34 x2 = 16.68 cu. in. Now I gotta figure out if my boat is 12v or 24v... If it was 12v, than for this application I would be fine to use either the Furuno PUMPHRP17-12 or the PUMPOCT16-12.

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

(p.s. make sure to verify my info with what you have, before purchasing)

It is 12v. So thank you for the response and assistance.

Now I’ll wait to see what Furuno says about the Processor.

Spoke with Furuno in Washington today and they advised processor was repaired.

If Furuno thinks the pump may have kicked in to many amps and caused the processor issue, I have a question

How come the fuse was not blown on the processor. Is that not the function of the fuse?

Furuno said they did not know why it did not blow.

Here's what our brochure says:

"20A for the 300 pilot for 5 seconds."
np300amps.JPG
https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... -en-lr.pdf

Than here's what KOBELT says about the HRP17-12:

kobeltamps.JPG
https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... -en-lr.pdf

You cannot pump into a solid object, likewise you can not exceed a hard stop past the extended range of the cylinders' movement. If you ask the pump to push the cylinder past it's full extended range for more than a minute you're going to hit that 34A and pop the pilot.

The rudder limit setup needs to be done per the manual, than with auto limits and manual limits set (A25/M30 respectfully) the pilot will prevent reaching those hard stop limits and work normally.

Hope this clarifies, :sail

- Maggy

I normally set all pilots the same. 30 degrees for Port and Starboard under the dockside setup (always ensuring helm is turned hard over whenever setting each), then Manual rudder limit to 25 degrees (5 deg short of the stops) and Auto rudder limit at 20 degrees. Never pump into the stops on a boat. It is like trying to drive your truck thru a solid steel wall. Current goes through the roof on any pump when driving into a non-movable object.

Back