Mirror TZT3 screens ?? Type of TV ?? Cost??

Morning Tauk

Hello …

I am having a downeast boat built for Tuna Fishing. I am putting in 19” TZT3 and 12”TZT3. While fishing I want to be able to see a TV Screen set up on a bracket outside that mirrors my main Electronics inside.

What type of TV is needed (It could be inside and facing out thru a window)

Other than HDMI Cable to unit and TV, what else is needed ?

IS this more costly than just adding n outside TZT Screen?

Thank you very much :furuno

If you can see it through the window, using a TV would be a nice option. You can run the HDMI and even a remote like the MCU002 if you wanted. Because of cable length required, you will most likely need to use a USB hub and HDMI amp to amplify your signals to have them work at longer distance away from the MFD. Most TV units accept HDMI and will scale to show the TZT3 output but I would look for a unit that is returnable and test that first thing, just in case.

Having fooled around with this I would say you have to be mindful of two issues. One is that the screen brightness of a typical TV is much less than your TZT 3s. If the TV is well shaded, it may be okay. A dedicated high brightness monitor will cost as much as another MFD so that would probably be better if your location is too bright.

The other issue is what Johnny identified, which is that the TV needs to support the resolution of the TZT 3 output or your display will be distorted. That’ll be easy to check looking at specifications of the TV.

Assuming that you are running a generator for 110V AC power:

I have a cheap Westinghouse TZ that I have the HDMI mirrored onto from my 19" display. It looks perfect. My display is up on the flybridge and the TV is in the salon. I used a HDMI to ethernet to HDMI system to make the longer run because CAT5 ethernet cable is much easier to pull the distance.

There are also 12 volt powered TVs but they generally come with a premium price tag for a basic TV.

I ran a backup ethernet cable from the cockpit (TZT3 12") to the nav station and extended the USB cable as well. I tried the non-amplified ethernet to HDMI converters, but they didn't work - cable run distance is about 25'.

Purchased a Sceptre 19" monitor on Amazon for $115 with 2 HDMI inputs and the amplified ethernet/HDMI units ($55). Was pleased that the Sceptre monitor is 12V so will wire into the boat's DC system. The amps are 5V so will install a 12V-5V converter ($11). So for about $200 I have a 19" mirror screen at the nav station.

Great resolution on the monitor. Using the USB extension and a cordless mouse am able to zoom and pan with the mouse, not sure how much I'll be able to do at the remote mirror station.

I run TimeZero Navigator on my laptop so will use the monitor for that as well (2nd HDMI port). The laptop is hooked into the Navnet3 network so have full visibility and control to the radar and network for information sharing.

Back