MFDBB replacement - master reset and RotoKey problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralph

My old MFDBB has died. I sent it to Furuno Italy and they could not repair it anymore.

So I decided to buy a tested replacement MFDBB from the US ( I am from Austria)

I got the box last week and now I brought it to Italy on my boat to install.

All went fine:

I installed the new box. ALL was working great.

I did the installation wizzard and set all the ports and Nicknames( I made Photos while my old box was running).

I then tested everything, updated my MFD12 to Version 2.13 and all worked well. I then wanted to create some Points and Routed with the mouse, but that did not work.

I then tried to create pionts or new routes also with the MCU Keyboard. Also this was not possible.

So I thought I might do a master restet, maybe there where some old information’s regarding points and routes. So I disconnected everything and tried to restart again.

The system was booting fine, but now it does not detect my MCU anymore. It boots fine to the initial Navigation Warning. „Push Rotokey to Agree“, but it does not take the RotoKey.

I wanted to make a master reset (I bought a USB Keyboard for this), but by any reason, it does not do the master reset. I am pressing the ESC Key according to the instruction, but after 2 Minutes it still comes up with the yellow start screen (Navigation Warning – Push Roto Key to Agree)

Now I don’t know what to do. (I have even prepared a 2.13 update boote stick – just in case-but the new box had 2.13 already installed). But I also can not try to insert the boot stick, since I cannot perform the master reset to disable the DHCP (Master off).

I think there is just some missconfiguration, but I don’t know how to force the MFDBB to start with the installation waizzard again ( it worked fine, when I did the initial first Installation)

Maybe someone has some tipp for me? Is there another method to force a master reset (I read in the instruction, that some Keyboards don’t work if the don’t repeat the command). Maybe this Keyboard is one of them.

I also tried the MCU MFDBB connetction reset (left sroll +right cursor + 5 sec RotoKey). No double beep of the MCU. When I disconnect the ethernet cabe and reconnet the MCU double beeps.

Since it worked the whole Afternoon, before I did the disconnction of all, the MCU should be fine.

What else can I try, that it is starting with the installation wizzard or other method to do a master rest?

what happens if I try to boot with the USB incremantal Update stick 2.13 when the MFDBB ist still the master and no master reset was performed before? I don't want to try it, because the manual says it MUST be configured as slave and I must perfom a master reset before.

Any help appreciated! Thanks, Ralph

Meanwhile I could confirm with maus the RotoKey. I have now installed a Keyboard and a Mouse.
The MCU is still not working. I have everything disconnect and just the MCU connected, but the MCU does not show up in the connection diagramm. When I try to run the installation wizzard, it does not enter the insallation wizzard, but instead starts the system and ends up in the "Push Roto Key".
Also now ( and I changed nothing - just updated the MFD12 before) the MyNavnet says System ID (Not reliable) MaxSea Chart Server (Not Connected) and MFD Type (Slave)
Before if was: System ID (SI FABB B014......) MaxSea Chart Server (not Connectd) MFD Type (Master)
Maybe because it now says System ID Not reliable, it does not start the installation wizzard.
Any idea, how I can fix this and why it now says Not Reliable? How can I restore the System ID?

I think I made something very wrong during the installation...and I was so happy this afternoon that everything was running...

My Data Catalog shows up empty now also. There where a couple of US charts intalled, which I tested this afternoon and they worked fine. I zoomed into US waters and it worked fine. Now I only have the wolld overview map. I don't need the US charts, but strange anyhow. It might be connected to the problem, that the MFDBB has "forgotten" or does not trust the System ID (which seems to be needed for the Data Catalog.

I have no Idea, how I can reset the system now correctly or how to make an clean new installation (which hopefully would bring back the System ID....

I have now purchased another 3 keybords but nor Keyboard is working to start the master reset.

Is there a special Keyboard recommendation (Model)? Can the Master reset be invoked by anther Method?

How can I perform a clean new installation (a boot USB drive would be ready, but I fear, that without a master reset before it makes more damage than it might help solving the problem)

Any hints are very welcome!

Sounds like you are digging a hole and crawling in deeper each time. First off, don't rush into making things worse. I recommend stepping back and taking a breath. I highly recommend the following Furuno USA document: https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... e_v3_2.pdf
This installation guide has a lot of very good and important information. Next, I would connect the MFDBB to power and only the MCU001 connected along with your video monitor. No other (radar/sounder/NMEA) cables connected. Ensure that the MCU001 is connected to port 1 labeled for the keyboard. Ensure there is no chart card or USB inserted. ENSURE you have good power. Find a WIRED USB mouse and plug into the upper USB port of the processor and turn on.

Is the MCU001 power button lighting green?
Do you hear a beep when you powered on the unit?
As the processor is booting; using a meter directly where the power cable connects to the processor; what is the voltage?
If you move the usb mouse, do you get a cursor on the screen?
Using the mouse, can you click the disclaimer that comes up?
If the mouse doesn't work use a USB WIRED keyboard to get through the disclaimer by hitting ENTER. Then hit F4 to open the menu and arrow down to get to the SYSTEM - Installation WIZARD. Run the wizard. Ensure that you set the make sure to set the setting for MASTER DHCP Server to "ON". and then SAVE and exit. When it comes up; to the disclaimer again; try setting up the MCU001 by holding the three buttons (knob and both outer arrows as described in the keyboard syncing procedure). Hold until for about 10 seconds and maybe you will get a beep. After letting go you might get a double confirmation beep. This hopefully will get you back on the way to making progress.

Hi Johnny,

thank you for your advice.

I got my now MCU001 back to work.

I did as you wrote. Just connected: the power ( shows 26,4V), DVI, MCU001 at port 1, mouse keyboard)

All works fine. MCU001 working, Mouse and Keyboard.

Still the System does not invoke the insallation wizzard. Master reset also not qorking.

Now I did the USB combo update installation. Worked fine but after the restart the installation wizzard is NOT coming up. It boots normal with the navigational warning, which I now can comfirm with the RotoKey.

What changed now is: The System got a new System ID: SI A12A E499.....!

It looks like the box I purchased was constructed out of two (or more) boxes! That might be the reason, of the strage behavior (First a system ID SI FABB B014......, then system ID not Relaible ....now after the USB update system ID SI A12A E499...).

Under Menu->Chart->DataCatalog only a gray empty page comes. No System ID, no Meomory sltos remaining, no Memory slots occupied, no list,->just an empty page with nothing

It looks like the chart catalog is from a different system ID as the system. Maybe that is also the reason, why the system does not allow to run the installtion wizzard or a master reset.

If the charts are not showing it sounds like something has happened with the hard drive. If the meta data file is damaged on the hard drive it will show nothing for charts. When you replaced your MFDBB, it is normal for the system ID to change (because of the new hardware). Not reliable is due to software not being clearly setup for MASTER or a conflict with two masters being on the same network at the same time. I would recommend unplugging the hard drive data cable and then try to bring the unit up and try going into the wizard and see what happens. I suspect something has happened to the hard drive of the MFDBB.

Thank you Johnny for your help!

It looks like the box had some HD Problems. I stopped working on this box. I got a replacement. This replacement is now working without any problems!

Do you have any instruction how to change the CR3032 battery. They are rare but I coukd order two new ones.

In the manual it is recommended to change it every three years. If I remove the old one and insert the new one, will this cause some reset of values?

That is a common button cell battery and is not really used in the Kontron processor. Most remove the battery and put the bios setting not to check for the battery. It is okay if you changed it and it won't hurt anything.

Good evening, friend Jhonny, the same thing as Ralph is happening to me, but in mfd12, what do you recommend I do please?

MFD12 has totally different hardware and not the same as the MFDBB. The MFD12 has no battery. I would recommend you send the unit in for repair evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back