MFD-12 Setup help

s4rs

Last year I bought a boat with a MFD-12. i am new to Furuno and marine electronics in general. My goal this year is to learn the MFD-12 and what it can do. Last year I got by just using the Chart Plotter to get in and out of the harbor.

Anyway attached to the Navnet are a radar, gps, depth sounder, fish finder, and temp sensor. The device list shows

NavNet3D MFD12
---[Com1] GP-320B
---[Com2] Port2-Sensor
---[Com3] Port3

DFF1

DRS_RADOME

The system was running version 2.05 of software. I decided to upgrade to 2.13.

The instructions have you disconnect the display ethernet, hold the cancel key, and power on to force a master reset. From reading the directions when you do this all your waypoints routes. Since I didn't have waypoints or routes I didn't back anything up.

I did make one mistake and not sure if it got me where I am now. The directions said once you see the install wizard language dialog power off the system. I didn't do that, I hit enter.

Anyway I updated the system plugged the ethernet cable back in, powered the system back up and the install wizard starts. I only have one MFD-12 and made that the Master DHCP server. Sensors get detected and away I go.

The issue I am having is when I look at the icons the Compass shows red, and the fish finder is now in standby. I have no idea how to fix this. I started to read the install guide but I just don't know enough to understand what I should select.

Any help would be appriciated.

Turns out Com2 is a Airmar H2183 Heading Sensor. I had to go into Com2 setup screen and select heading to get the compass working.

Question where in the documentation does it describe how to setup things like this? I looked at the H2183 install doc and it doesn't tell you how to assign the device to a chart plotter. I didn't see anything in the NN3D docs on defining a generic device.

Anyway other than heading is there anything else I should check for this sensor?

s4rs,
Thank you for your question. Basically you will need to run the installation wizard and then also select the appropriate settings for each data port. However, each installation wizard setup is different, as you are able to interface different components in a few different ways (NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000, or network), so knowing what components are installed and how they are connected to the MFD12 is very important.
I would recommend to either contact your local Furuno dealer to help you through the initial setup of your devices, or to give us a call in tech support to help you through the initial setup. Keep in mind that we will need to know what model sounder you have and also how your GPS and Heading sensor (and any other devices) are connected to the MFD12.

DB,
Thanks for the reply. I worked with my local Furuno dealer (Voyager Marine in Essex MA) and they confirmed what I thought about the heading sensor. The sensor in question is an Airmar H2183 connected via NMEA0183. My question beyond this is there documentation out there for setting these sensor types. The manufactures install guide has nothing about how to add this to a chart plotter never mind a NN3D. Does Furuno have documentation on various sensors and their settings. Do you guys have a compatibility guide with setting suggestions?

My MFD12 is running great now but looking to add a BBWX1 in the near future. i would like to know what setting I need to check. I will probably pick one up off ebay..

We normally have documents on Furuno products but not all possible connections to other manufacturers. There are just too many out there and always changing. Our tech support is normally very helpful if you call them with the details.

Back