Manufacture date based on serial number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch184

Hi,
Seeing if there is a way to tell how old a unit is based on the serial number?

It's a FCV-588. S/n: 1000-3411-4812

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. Rather than start a new thread, wondering if I could ask another quick question.

Do the TM260 or M260 transducers work with the bottom discrimination function? I've seen people say yes and no. I know the B260 is on the approved list, and I thought the B260, M260 and TM260 were all basically the same, yet I've read on here that the TM260 is not compatible with bottom discrimination?

Last edited:
mitch184,

In regards to the B260, the TM260, and the M260 having Bottom Discrimination Capabilities. While all those transducers do have the same elements within the transducers: (50kHz side - 1.13" PZT/L and the 200kHz side - 2.56" PZT) the B260 will provide you with bottom discrimination capability and the TM260 may provide you with that capability.

I'm really not sure about the M260, as it's a shoot through the hull transducer, and those transducers typically don't have the same performance as the other two "wet-faced" transducers and there might be some signal loss that can effect the bottom returns that are used for proper bottom classification.

- Deep Blue :unsure:

Thanks for the reply. Seems odd it's not known whether or not it will work though. The bottom discrimination is the primary reason I was going to go with the 588. Wanted the additional power of the 260 over the P66 but will have to decide I guess.

Officially it isn't supported because transom area is known for turbulence and they either didn't have enough data to support saying it was or it wasn't up to their standards. Users have used the M260 and TM260 but lie to the unit in the setup and say it is a B260. It won't hurt anything because the elements are the same yet the software will enable the features. You would get what you get but officially it wouldn't be considered the right transducer for those features.

Got it. That makes sense, thanks. Too many variables to say it will work 100%.

I usually mount mine a little on the low side and use a splash guard. Additionally, I think the BD only works at low speeds I believe.

mitch184,

Keep in mind that the Bottom Discrimination mode only works between the depths of 16.5ft and down to 328ft and at a speed of 10 knots or less. Also, be sure to mount the transducer straight and level, otherwise the bottom discrimination may not function accurately.

- Deep Blue :sneaky:

Got it.

One last question if I could. So I found a buddy with a TM260 with the Lowrance 5/7 pin that he doesn't need. It's a 2015 manufacture date P/N: 41-420-1-01. It looks like there is no adaptor to go to the Furuno 10 pin on the FCV 588 and that id have to splice it. The bare wire adapter I think I need is AIR-033-333.
Assuming the above is true, is it possible to splice these wires and have them have the same performance as a factory splice job? I'm pretty electrically savvy, but splicing those wires does seem a bit interesting.

And lastly, since I want to use bottom discrimination, should I leave thr XID wire disconnected so I can manually choose the B260?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back