Low frequency target strength

A

Anonymous

From what I've read, targets usually should have a stronger return with low frequency as well as better arches due to cone angle. I have a 1870 with a p66 and was fishing the other day and did well on the yellowtail (30lb). I ran my machine in dual frequency, and had much better returns on the high frequency side, i was expecting stronger returns and maybe arches on the low frequency. Is it due to using a 600w transducer with such a wide angle, and not enough power on target?

Lf gain about 53
Hf gain about 75
Clutter 10%
Color erase 20%
Very low tvg
1/1 speed.

Thanks

Attachments

• FILE0001.png
    FILE0001.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 903
Hberit,
Thank you for your screen shot and settings. A couple of things I noticed. One is the amount of surface clutter. I can only imagine you lowered the TVG to help suppress the amount you were seeing. A lower TVG setting means you will need to have a higher gain setting which you have. This surface clutter will deaden a sounders over all sensitivity, specially on 50Khz. If you look at the bottom return of 50Khz you can see that it is not that strong. If you don't have a strong bottom return all the mid water column targets are going to be weak. Next time out I would recommend going back to the middle TVG setting. Also notice the correlation between the amount of surface clutter to the strength of your bottom and mid water targets.

Snips

Back