Is CHIRP worth it on the Chesapeake Bay

Trepang

I plan on upgrading to a Furuno TZTouch2 12" and I'm trying to decide on a 'ducer.

I have a pretty big group of friends - local charter boat captains and I am getting a split on opinions on wether to go with the "old fashioned" B45 50/200khz or a CHIRP B285HW.

The boat is used exclusively on the Chesapeake Bay in waters less than 100 feet, most less than 70 feet. A huge part of our fishing is in water 30 feet or less. Sometimes perch fish in 5 feet.

I need to be able to see suspended stripers as well as be able to pick up perch and spotfish tight on the bottom.

Is there any advantage to adding a BBDS1 black box? What features does it add - I was under the impression that the "all new bottom discrimination function, as well as the FDF (Furuno Digital Filter)" came with a new NavNet TZtouch2?

The boat is a 46 Markley, a Chesapeake Bay deadrise charter boat. It needs to be a through-hull, fairing mounted ducer.

I am fully aware of the cost difference and the need for an add-on DFF1-UHD black box if I go with the CHIRP ducer. I just don't know whether the B285HW & DFF1-UHD are worth the added expense in my situation.

I currently have a 2006 Furuno 582L with a B256.

Thanks in advance - never knew updating my meter would be such a headache.

Good evening Trepang,

That is a good question, and it really depends on the user. The Chirp transmission pulse is ideal for finding fish stacked on top of each other or fish right off the bottom. Keep in mind though that the fish targets look different than a standard dual frequency fish finder. For some it is not a big deal, for others it is not as desirable because fish targets do look a little different than a standard fish finder like what you have been using.

Here is an idea, you currently have a B256 transducer, if the transducer is still functional, you could simply add the TZTL12F MFD and utilize the existing B256 transducer and see what it looks like. You would avoid the cost of hauling the vessel, adding another transducer. If you are happy with the results then you are done. If you don't like what you are seeing that gives you a couple of options. Either add a different transducer for the internal sounder on the TZTL12F, or you add a chirp transducer and the DFF1-UHD box.

But using the B256, you could at least get an idea what the internal sounder shows you. You might just like what you see and you would be done. If not you still have some options available.

C-Bass

Back