IP Camera / Video Server?

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
I'm playing around with some generic IP cameras so see if I can get a low cost option to work. The setup seems pretty common across brands and I'm following the directions for the Axis IP cams.

I'd just like to confirm that the Video server referenced in this manual is optional and only required if there are analog cameras in the setup?

Also, I currently have a Netgear unmanaged switch for my network and need to add a POE unmanaged switch for the CAMs. I assume just connecting the two switches via open (non POE) ports will work fine?

Correct, the video servers are for multiple analog cameras.

Also correct, connecting the unmanaged switches via non-POE ports would be proper. Just ensure you end up with no more than three switches total.

Thanks FishTech, appreciate the info.

My second camera arrived today and I was hopeful that I could get it to work...but that hope quickly faded. Like the first camera brand, the firmware REQUIRES a strong password be set for any user so Furuno's requirement for ID/Password to be ROOT/PASS (if I understand the directions correctly) leaves both DOA. Bummer, because I had done some research on the camera and thought there were no password controls on this brand/SW.

I'm surprised this isn't an issue (yet?) on the Axis/Iris cams that have been tested/confirmed to work....

Given IP cams general usage and cyber security issues, perhaps Furuno should update the SW to allow stronger/user or camera specific login credentials....

I get that boat networks are "generally" off the grid, but not for many...

Last edited:
I decided to go with an AXIS camera for the Engine room for now but will hold off on the other cameras I'd like to add until later - hopefully a SW update addresses the login credentials issue.

I checked the product page, but couldn't find instructions for how to add an AXIS NVR recorder (e.g., AXIS S3008) - I assume this would need a static IP Address on the Furuno network like the cameras. Is there a 'safe' range of IP addresses that I can use or a document I can reference?

I don't seem to be able to access the first link - is it behind a firewall?

The second is really focused on just cameras and encoders and doesn't address the question about what IP address would be best assigned to a network storage device for camera recordings?

Try this link. While it says the setup for for TZT and TZT2 units; the process is the same for using with TZT3. https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/s..._tztouch2_axis_ip_camera_setup_procedures.pdf
Thanks Johnny, I have that link and have successfully tested/viewed my Axis camera on the TZT3 with a simple Ethernet connection with a PoE injector (test 1).

My goal however is to have a network video recorder to store the video.

On the NVR, I have disabled DHCP and set the NIC with IP address 172.31.200.7 (which is one reserved for the axis decoder). My question is this IP address 'safe' for the NVR or is there a better one?

I do have the camera working through the NVR as well, just want to make sure the IP address is good to use (and understand that I cannot then add a decoder at the same address).

Last edited:
As long as you don't plan to run an axis quad server that normally uses that address, the way you have it setup should be fine. The default address for quad server #1 is 172.31.200.7 and the second quad server is 172.31.200.8.

Another question about how the TZT3 handles video inputs. If I have an IP camera on the network I get a new icon on the main screen for the camera. What happens if I enable HDMI IN for a different video source - would I get a different main screen icon?

If you configure say completely different two hotpages; both with video selections. You can configure one to be using your HDMI source and the other to the the IP camera. So when you go to hit the hotpages if you pick the one with HDMI it will remain the HDMI source. I find it just as easy to have just one video hot page and swipe up from the bottom and change sources between the two sources I wish to toggle between.

Back