IP Cam in "Network Sensors" List?

RickVicik

Furuno Fan
Will a successfully recognized IP Cam show up in the TZT14 Initial Setup "Network Sensors" list along with the other IP devices?

I'm trying to add an IP Cam and have the Pan-Tilt-Zoom be controlled by my TZT14. The camera is connected to my Hub101 along with all the other IP devices (TZT14, FA50, BBDS1, etc.) but does not show up in that list. As specified, the camera is set to a static IP address of 172.31.200.3, H.264 compression and resolution less than 800x600, but the TZT14 doesn't recognize it. The camera was chosen from the AXIS website and is a VB-S30D.

Any information will be appreciated.
---rick

I am not familiar with that model but if you followed the setup guide it sounds like it should work. Have you tried directly connecting the camera to the TZT14 and bypass everything else?

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll be using it again as I continue to work through these issues.

My problem was that I didn't change the "subnet mask" in the camera when I switched from stand-alone testing with a PC (using 192.x.x.x) to testing with the TZT14s (using 172.x.x.x). I didn't understand that the high order byte of the IP address determines the required subnet mask.

Both TZT14's now can see the camera's IP address going through the Hub101. The camera IP address appears in the "Other Sensors" list and "IP Camera 1" has a green check instead of a red x. I can even plug a PC into the Hub101 and view the camera's output and also control the PTZ.

Unfortunately, the TZT14's show "No Video" on the camera screen. Some other setting is not compatible.

This camera has a lot more setting and not all correspond to the ones in the example. For example I can't find any "Compression" or "gov" setting, but I do have "video quality" and "frame rate". I tried setting those and resolution as low as possible with no success.

I got an ethernet packet sniffer and captured the traffic when trying to use the camera with a PC and with the TZT14. I'll go through both and try to find differences.

---rick

I spent a lot of time talking to AXIS tech support about why my VB-S30D camera won't display video on my TZT14. He said the M1011 and M5013 IP Cameras use an older, AXIS-
proprietary video streaming protocol that is different from the new multi-vendor ONVIF protocol which is what most IP cameras use now.

Does anyone know what URL the TZT14 uses to connect to the IP Camera? Or whether is uses multicast, unicast or RSTP? According to AXIS, the M1011 URLs are:
axrtpu://<IP-adr>/axis-media/media.amp (Unicast RTP)
axrtsp://<IP-adr>/axis-media/media.amp (RTP over RTSP)
axrtsphttp://<IP-adr>/axis-media/media.amp (RTP over RTSP over HTTP)
axrtsphttps://<IP-adr>/axis-media/media.amp (Unicast via RTSP)

On the other hand, my ethernet packet sniffer (WireShark) doesn't show any packets sent to the IP camera address, not even rejected ones. The IP camera announces itself when
connected and never sends or receives another packet. The TZT14 shows a green check within seconds of the camera being plugged in, so the problem is not at the ethernet level. When I connect to the camera from a PC (through the Hub101), many packets are exchanged. Is there something I've neglected to enable on the TZT14?
---rick

The Furuno does not yet support ONVIF. Furuno uses MPEG-4 and H.264 formats. Typically on the newer cameras it is H.264 and they must be properly configured (compression/frame rate/resolution/aspect) per the the setup guide.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... edures.pdf

The camera must be setup with one of the four suitable IP addresses and correct subnet mask. If you are using just one camera, normally the IP the camera will be moved to is 172.031.200.3. This address is where the TZT will look for it.

In an attempt to narrow down the problem, I tried following the document you mentioned as closely as possible. I got an M1011W from ebay and configured it as described in the document using the AXIS IP Utility (static IP adr 172.31.200.3, subnet 255.255.0.0, no default gateway, enable anonymous viewer logon, synchronize w/ computer time, resolution 640x480, compression=30, GOV=32 and variable bitrate). I disabled the wireless to eliminate that complication. The red X next to "IP Camera 1" changes to a green check within seconds of connecting the camera, but the TZT14 camera display screen says "No Video".

My ethernet sniffer shows that the only thing the TZT14 sends to 172.31.200.3 is the periodic "Who Is" request which is probably how it knows to turn on the green check. Once the camera responds, the TZT14 never sends anything else to that IP address. If a PC is used to display the camera output, the sniffer shows the PC sending requests and the camera responding for as long as the video is displayed.

It's almost as though there is a required option in the TZT14 case that hasn't been enabled.

The problem with the M1011W was my error. I failed to understand that the camera password must be set to "pass", not a password of my choice. Once that was corrected, the M1011W displayed video on the TZT14.

Then I was able to sniff the ethernet traffic between the TZT14 and camera while actually functioning. It is vastly different from when a PC is used to display the camera output. With a PC, both devices send directly to each other's IP address in an obvious request-and-response protocol. With the TZT14, neither device sends directly to the other. Instead both send to 239.255.255.250 which is a special IP address for the "Universal Plug and Play" (UPnP) protocol. This is more complicated than I expected.
---rick

I realize this thread is over 4 years old but...

I just went thru the exercise of trying to connect an M7014 to a TZT9F. I used the document cited (even though it was for TZT/TZT2 and I was using TZT3.). Couldn't get it working until I came across this old thread.

On initial startup the current Axis software leads you through the process to set the password for root. As I read the Furuno doc, using "pass" for the password is the initial state of the Axis device - but there is no real hint that you MUST leave it set to "pass". Being computer-savvy (ha) I changed it to something else.

Bottom line: Furuno absolutely depends on root/pass being left as valid credentials on the Axis server.

Rick - if you're still around, thank you for documenting that here.

danderer":297aa2k5 said:
Bottom line: Furuno absolutely depends on root/pass being left as valid credentials on the Axis server.

Rick - if you're still around, thank you for documenting that here.

Good Info, thanks for sharing! :jump :jump

- Maggy

Dredging this old thread back to life yet again - Is it still true that Furuno does not support ONVIF?

Frankly, I don't even really know what that is but i'm about to plunge into the IP Camera world with my TZT3 system and am reading a ton about it (including searching here for reference). I will try a lower cost option at first and move to Axis if i'm unsuccessful.

Besides the composite options, FLIR options, and Axis options we have found that IRIS offers some IP cameras that work well once configured. I have tested the IRIS S460 and it works well on TZT2 and TZT3. While ONVIF is not available, there plenty of options especially considering two quad Axis axis servers can be used on the system. While we have been pushing ONVIF, I guess it isn't such as cut and dry standard as one might think when it comes to compatibility. Furuno now offers a video streaming box to bring in HDMI or VGA video that works really well. (one per network) https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/vi-hdmi or https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/vi-csh8l

Besides the composite options, FLIR options, and Axis options we have found that IRIS offers some IP cameras that work well once configured. I have tested the IRIS S460 and it works well on TZT2 and TZT3. While ONVIF is not available, there plenty of options especially considering two quad Axis axis servers can be used on the system. While we have been pushing ONVIF, I guess it isn't such as cut and dry standard as one might think when it comes to compatibility. Furuno now offers a video streaming box to bring in HDMI or VGA video that works really well. (one per network) https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/vi-hdmi or https://www.furunousa.com/en/products/vi-csh8l

I want to install 2 IRIS S460 cams on a customer's new build in North Carolina. The package includes 4 TZT16's. Can you share with me the procedures you used to program the cameras, along with the settings used? Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I've seen that document. My question to Johnny's post had to do with the fact that Furuno states the TZT3 will not support the ONVIF protocol and the IRIS S460 camera according to the mfg. is ONVIF Profile S. He mentioned that this specific camera 'works well' with the TZT2-3 and I was trying to find out specifically how that specific camera was programmed to work with the Furuno equipment. I won't be on site to do this programming and was hoping to supply the installer with the necessary info to make the cameras work with the TZT3's on board. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks, I've seen that document. My question to Johnny's post had to do with the fact that Furuno states the TZT3 will not support the ONVIF protocol and the IRIS S460 camera according to the mfg. is ONVIF Profile S. He mentioned that this specific camera 'works well' with the TZT2-3 and I was trying to find out specifically how that specific camera was programmed to work with the Furuno equipment. I won't be on site to do this programming and was hoping to supply the installer with the necessary info to make the cameras work with the TZT3's on board. Any help with this would be most appreciated.
Johnny is out this week and might have more to contribute later. I do know he used the settings (as much as possible) in those documents to get the S460 working.

The Iris camera I mentioned it isn't about ONVIF it is about having the right Codex and the H264 support and using a proper setup. The fact that the IRIS can work and also happens to support ONVIF means nothing. Furuno doesn't currently offer ONVIF support on the MFDs.

Many cameras support more than just ONVIF. Some support just one active stream, some support more than one.

I'd just like to know how to add a router into the TZT's 172.31.0.0/16 network to allow devices OUTSIDE of that subnet to also pull streams from the cameras. Anyone know what IP address to use for a router to do this?

I used 172.31.200.7 (static) for the NVR I installed to record my IP cameras. That address was 'blessed' by the mods on this site as safe. The IP cams plug into the NVR and the NVR is connected to the netgear hub I have installed for the Furuno network. I followed the setup guide linked above and each camera works as intended.

I have one Axis camera in the ER that is available on TZT3 via IP and another camera with high resolution in my cockpit that I can view over HDMI (from the NVR to the TZT3).

In my testing, the biggest obstacle to getting IP cams to work with TZT is the root/pass requirement - nearly all require a 'strong' password and that means it cannot be accessed by the Furuno gear. I put a request in for this to be addressed (IMHO, it's a huge cyber vulnerability on Furuno gear).

Back