Internal GPS antenna

bughermarine

Looking to install a TZT12F display recess mount in my helm. The slightly tilted back from vertical panel into which this will mount is nominal 1/8" aluminum plate. The TZT12F display will be at the top of this panel with solid fiberglass of the helm console above this location, and a surface mount factory drinkholder on top of the helm console above where the Furuno unit will be installed. There is then only a fabric bimini top above the entire helm. My question is, will the internal GPS antenna in the TZT12F unit function properly in this recessed install situation or does it truly need "clear view of the sky"?

From what you are describing the internal GPS should work where its installed. But that would be something that needs to be tested to get a for sure answer. If it doesn't pick up I would recommend picking up a external GPS or an SCX20 so you can have a good GPS source.

Thanks for the replies. I tend to agree and it seems the best option is to install the new Furuno unit and test the satellite reception. We can always purchase and plug-in a remote GPS antenna if needed. Thanks again.

Back