Installing Dual GP1971Fs

ivansfo

I am currently running a GP1971F and a 20 year old Furuno 1621 radar. The new 1971 is really nice and I like the form factor of the horizontal display. For my next project I am thinking about replacing the Furuno 1621 with another GP1971F + DRS4W. This will give me dedicated FF and plotter screens which I've always wanted. Radar overlay would be a bonus too.

Is this doable? Is this a cost effective solution to replace the 1621?

Assuming I move forward this with, I have these questions.

1) Foresee any issues if 1971s are connected to the NMEA2000 network?
2) Any possibility of GPS receiver interference?
3) Can I run 2 transducers? Keep my old P66 on one while adding a CHIRP transducer to the other.
3) Can the DRS4W radar talk to both plotters?

ivansfo":11ibjv84 said:
Assuming I move forward this with, I have these questions.

1) Foresee any issues if 1971s are connected to the NMEA2000 network?
2) Any possibility of GPS receiver interference?
3) Can I run 2 transducers? Keep my old P66 on one while adding a CHIRP transducer to the other.
3) Can the DRS4W radar talk to both plotters?

GP1871F/GP1971F Combo units were primarily designed to be standalone combo units.

1) Up to four GP1871F/1971F Combo units can be connected to a common NMEA2000 bus.
2) The GP1871F/1971F Combo unit include an internal GPS, but also can support an external GPS such as a GP330B when connected to a NMEA2000 network backbone.
3) Only the unit connected to the transducer will display a sounder image.
3) a max of two GP1871F/GP1971F Combo units can be connected to a DRS4W radar
sensor at the same time.

Ref.: (See q.3 FAQ) https://furunousa.com/-/media/sites/fur ... 1f_faq.pdf

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Thank you Maggy. Your answers and the FAQ helped a lot. Sound my plan is very doable but it will just comes with redundant GPS and FF.

Too bad Furuno doesn't offer a standalone FF with a display in the orientation and size of the GP1971F. I'll contact my Furuno retailer for a quote and move forward with this. :sail

Back