IF-NMEA2K and (Simrad) Autopilot

J

JordanBigel

So, after purchasing an IF-NMEA2K for the purpose of interfacing my NMEA-0183 (Simrad) Autopilot, I came across this posting from Mr. Electron, circa 2013 - FIVE years ago:

-----------------------------------
Re: nmea 0183 to nmea 2000
Postby Johnny Electron » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

The IF-NMEA2k2 is a great converter but currently can not be used to control an autopilot (including Furuno's). We hope to get a software update to the IF-NMEA2k2 to change that in the future; but at this time, I would recommend the actisense unit.
-----------------------------------

Johnny - is this still the case? I just purchased the IF-NMEA2K, and installed it this month. I have not tried it yet, but I am hoping it will serve to not only deliver wind, GPS, and other data to the A/P, but also be able to accept input from the A/P, at minimal rudder angle, for example.

Am I in fantasy land? Will this work?

THANKS again,
Jordan.
S/V Queen Jane

No, that is no longer the case. The converter works very well with autopilots with exception of very old pilots that need NMEA version 1.

Anybody want to be a brand new IF-NMEA2K converter, cheap?

According to Simrad, my old-but-working-perfectly, J300X-40 cannot be upgraded to NMEA0183 2.x - but, they claim the Simrad AT-10 converter will work perfectly with the J300X and its old version 1 NMEA. I ordered it just now.

SO, I'll take any offer for the IF-NMEA2K - the leads have been cut at both ends, I had it connected to a FI-5002 junction box, so had to cut off the male NMEA2000 connector, hence, it is pretty much crippled now unless you splice on a N2K field connector, or wire it to another FI-5002. I also cut the 183 leads down to about 3" for my needs, so...

Totally my bad, the nuance of all this is hard to manage when installing NMEA networks is not your profession, like it is not mine, but I tried carefully to verify all the components I planned to use, but this one detail got by me. Someday all my 183 gear will be dead and gone, I look forward to that day, but it is not today.

Anyway, I'll put it up on eBay for $75 maybe someone will take it - I don't suppose Furuno has a refurbish program where they would buy it back and replace the leads and re-sell it? LOL. No, I didn't think so.

Back