How to update map chart chip on Vx2

Peter O.

I have the Navnet VX2 with color video plotter GD-1920C combined with and Marine Radar Model 1824C/1964C, all circa 2007-ish. I am heading up to Canada for a longer trip and wanting to update the chart chip, which (slides in the front slot and) is:

C-Map Max
21 June 2014
Pacific Coast and Central American
M NAM 035 27 MM

What is my best move here?
I am fine buying a new chip if that is the best way to update everything with the least amount of stick-handling by me.
Or just stand pat with what I have?
What about additional software updates?
The more it is plug and play, the better.
Thanks so much for any help on this.
Peter O.

You'll need to contact a C-Map dealer to purchase the newest Max chip. Before doing this, you might want to ensure that you have the final version of software on your GD1920C/NT. Press Menu-System Configuration-System Setup-Test & Clear-Memory I/O Test-Display Unit Test...the final version will show as program number 195002404.03

OK, great, thanks for your prompt reply.
I will check the software first
If I do not have the final version of the software, is there a fix?

OK, great, thanks for your prompt reply.
I will check the software first
If I do not have the final version of the software, is there a fix?
The software is available, but I would need to know the full software version before I can send a link.

OK great, thanks!
What is the "FAT file system" that I have to format the blank SD with?
Will that be in the downloaded software in the link?

You need a 2GB or smaller SD card. The size of the card determines the file system...In the case of 2GB, it is FAT. You do not need to format a new SD card.

You need a 2GB or smaller SD card. The size of the card determines the file system...In the case of 2GB, it is FAT. You do not need to format a new SD card.
OK, so it sounds like I just need to buy a blank 2GB SD card and download the files to that.
And follow the procedures to insert it in the slot in the lower right hand corner of the unit where the C-Map card now resides, correct?

Correct. You would need to download the software, unzip the folder and copy the 3 files to the 2GB SD card. Then, put it in the slot and turn on the display. It will automatically update. When it beeps non-stop, it's done. Pop out the card and the display shuts off. Put your chart card in and turn the display back on and you'll see the new software version when you check it.

OK, so it sounds like I just need to buy a blank 2GB SD card and download the files to that.
And follow the procedures to insert it in the slot in the lower right hand corner of the unit where the C-Map card now resides, correct?
Correct. You would need to download the software, unzip the folder and copy the 3 files to the 2GB SD card. Then, put it in the slot and turn on the display. It will automatically update. When it beeps non-stop, it's done. Pop out the card and the display shuts off. Put your chart card in and turn the display back on and you'll see the new software version when you check it.
Excellent. Thank you so much for your help on this.

One more question: Does this look like the correct C-Map product to you? I don't actually see anything that is called "C-Map Max"

1719584668973.png

Hey,

I wanted to thank the moderator (I don't know who he is) very much for his help on updating the software on my old Furuno and obtaining a new updated C-Map. I could not have done this without his prompt and clear instructions and without the links to the software and the C-Map people. I had already purchased the wrong map update on Amazon, but was able to cancel it. The C-Map people were also very helpful to me.

Accomplishing all this was way out of my wheelhouse, but when we assembled all the pieces, my wife and I got it done!

I really appreciate this help.

So thank you, and hope to see you out there!!!

Peter O.
Seattle, WA

Back