Help with choosing components for a new boat

jonathanflorida

Hello. Having a new boat built, and need advice on electronics. Typical use case is: Catch bait in 5'-50', bottom fishing in 50' - 300', Trolling in 60' - 400', Bottom fishing in 600'-800', and want to add the option of fishing for swords 1,000' - 2,000'.

In addition to above requested help, I have been advised the DRS25ANXT/6 is a good choice for radar for finding birds/tuna, and would like to confirm this please.

How should I set this up?

For the first 600' DFF3D would be a good option. Then add a bigger low frequency transducer for the 2000' work. I'll let other make suggestions on that.

What size is the boat? Many different mounting options for transducers, etc... In any case, I'd also suggest a SCX20 for both radar overlay and DFF3D use.

Thanks for the reply. 37' boat. How about DFF3d with 165T-TM54, and then add a R599LM? I think I would need to do an "in hull" or "tank mount" with the R599, those terms are synonymous, correct?

jonathanflorida,

Having the DFF3D using the 165T-TM54 will work well at 165kHz for trolling and bottom fishing, including providing you fish habitat information.

The R599LM is a shoot through the hull transducer with 28-60kHz on Low Frequency for use in going deep and 80-130kHz on the Medium Frequency for use in looking for bait.

The use of these transducers should provide you good separation on the sounder frequencies, and not "step on each other". My only concern is the performance from shoot through the hull transducers as opposed to the wet faced transducers.

- Deep Blue ;)

jonathanflorida,

Yes, if you plan on using the R599LM, then you'll need to utilize a 3kW Sounder Module.

Keep in mind that the frequencies used for the TZT3 when connected to the DI-FFAMP are 26.5-255kHz, and the frequencies used for the DFF3-UHD are 25-242kHz

- Deep Blue :wink7

Thank you, again, Deep Blue. Apologize for being such a dummy, but, which of the 2 should I lean towards? DI-FFAMP or DFF3-UHD, and why?
Also, how would I be served by adding a B175HW to this system?

That would be:
DFF3D with 165T-TM54
R599LM with DFF3-UHD (or DI-FFAMP)
B175HW

jonathanflorida,

If you are going to use TZT3 as the basis for your vessel's electronics suite, then I would use the DI-FFAMP for the 2/3kW Sounder. It was built to integrate with TZT3 as the higher power sounder module.

The DFF3D will be operating at 165kHz, and the R599LM will be operating at 38-75kHz on the low frequency, and 80-130kHz on the medium frequency. So you should be able to use both these units without them "stepping" on one other.

If you throw the B175HW into the mix, this transducer operates at 150-250kHz and there is a significant chance that it's going to conflict with the DFF3D's frequency of 165kHz.

Things to consider... :think

- Deep Blue

I have a fairly similar pattern of requirements to what you outlined. For what it's worth, I would suggest that if you just have the DFF-3D and an R599LM, you won't really have anything that is well suited to bottom fishing in shallower waters from 30-400 feet. The DFF-3D is good for showing structure in those depths but it does not provide the detail you would see with a B175H. An R599LH gives you the narrower high frequency of the B175H and the 3kW low frequency you would use for deep dropping.

While the B175HW and its counterparts such as the R599LHW give you a wide beam high frequency element that is good for trolling in 150-400 feet of water, with a DFF-3D you will have a wider coverage area. I'm not sure it really adds much to have the HW element. While there is some interference between the HF and the DFF-3D, the interference filters make it go away.

If you want to save some money, I think you would do just fine for deep dropping with a PM111LH at 2kW. You lose the extreme range of the R599 at 3kW but if you are in 2,000 feet or less, the PM111LH will do a great job.

If you have access to a good fibreglass guy and your boat design permits, I would strongly encourage you to go with a pocket mount on the keel especially for the transducer for the DFF-3D. To me. the ideal combo would be a pocket mounted B54-165T for the DFF3D and a PM111lH with the DIFF-AMP or the DFF3-UHD.

As for your question on the radar, I have a DRS25A-NXT with a six foot array and it does an excellent job showing birds at 6+ miles.

Quitsa, Thank you very much for the reply. DRS25ANXT with 6' array, check. Fairly certain pocket mount is not an option, but, fully understand that would be a better solution, and I will make sure it's not feasible.
If I was set on the R599, would you advise I switch from R599LM to R599 LH? Would that capture better detail for bottom fishing shallower water 30-400'?
That would be:
DFF3D with 165T-TM54
R599LH with DFF3-UHD (or DI-FFAMP)
B175HW

Don't forgot you will want an SCX-20, which you probably already have on your li

I would go with an R599LH. The bottom detail with the "H" element in those depths is excellent and it will separate the fish from the structure better. If you do that, the B175HW is more of a "nice to have". I think I would be inclined to an HW over an M in your depths regardless of whether you get it via an R599LHW and a B175H or an R599LH and a B175HW. The HW elements are exactly the same.

Just my opinions of course.

Back