Heading sensor

A

Anonymous

Hi I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between the following heading sensors: C-500, PG-500 and PG-1000. I have a Navnet vx2, 1834C radar and a navpilot 710. My question is- which sensor will perform best with my equipment and vessel? I have a 55 foot trawler style cruiser that gets along at 8 knots. I want heading data to feed the autopilot as well as radar overlay and arpa/true motion

I have tried hard to find the differences between each model but the brochures don't seem to provide the detail. I should add that I cannot justify a PG-700 unless someone could convince me it is far superior. Really looking at acquiring something secondhand.

Thanks in advance

Ozzie

If you have a NavPilot 700 series then you should be using the PG700. If it is a NavPilot 500 series use the PG500R.
These are both rate compasses (essentially a yaw sensor) and will serve your requirements well. Seeing as the 500R and the 700 are both the same list price I do not understand your aversion to it.

Thanks Melville

My question comes as a result of my budget. Here in Australia the PG-1000 will set me back about around $1000 where as I can buy a PG-500,C-500 or PG-1000 for around $400 secondhand with all cables. I guess I was wondering if any or all,of the above three would adequately do the job.

It is possible to use any of the above heading sensors with the Navpilot 700 series as long as it is properly installed and configured. Here in the USA, every Navpilot 700 is sold with the PG700 compass so it is rare to find someone using anything else unless it is a metal boat that requires a Sat compass or Gyro.

Back