GP330B/NMEA2000 connection to a DSR4D-NXT

Fish-a-Palooza

I'm doing a new install for a TZT312F MFD, 24" DSR4D-NXT, and a BBWX4 Sirius. I was thinking it would be a good idea to just install a GP330B/NMEA2000 now while I'm there.
I have a few questions please;

1. What I'm not real clear on is, the literature says Hub 101 is necessary for the
GP330B/NMEA2000 unless DRS is being used. I'm assuming it hooks directly in the dome
but then I read in a thread from 2018 the Can-hub has been removed from the newer
domes. I don't currently have a network setup and was hoping to do a direct connect. So
how does it hook in?

2. Would the GP330B/NMEA0183 be a better option to hook directly to the MFD?

3. Is the GP330B even necessary with the BBWX4?

4. I obviously am not up to date on this so I what am I missing? :questions

Also, I guess I should add that I don't have an auto-pilot or engine monitoring.

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

1. Sounds like a great new package. The newer DRS (such as the AX Series and NXT series) doesn’t have a NMEA2000 connection like the older DRS so you will need to connect the gps antenna to a NMEA2000 backbone as well as the TZT3 display. That was an older document you were reading regarding the gps connection into the DRS. TZT3 display, DRS4D-NXT and BBWX4 will be network together through a network HUB.
2. No, the TZT3 displays are only NMEA2000 compatible for receiving data so with the GP330B/0183, you would need a converter then tie it into the NMEA200 backbone. I would recommend our new SCX20 satellite compass that will provide both gps and heading data. GPS data for the chart plotter, heading data for the radar and it will give you an option to overlay the radar on top of the chart. Plus if you decide to add an auto pilot, that will provide the pilot with good accurate heading data. The SCX20 is NMEA2000 so that would plug in the NMEA2000 backbone.
3. Yes, the GP330B (or SCX20) doesn’t have to do anything regarding the BBWX4. The BBWX4 has its own satellite antenna that will provide it weather data.
4. I would recommend a conventional (50/200khz) or a 12pin CHIRP transducer and utilize the built-in sounder on the TZT3 display. We have a list for all of the transducers that are compatible with the display listed on our web site.
5. Since you’re building a NMEA2000 backbone, you can get the proper gateway from the engine manufacture and connect it to the NMEA2000 to display and have engine monitoring data on the TZT3 (as long as the engine is outputting the compatible PGN data).
For auto pilot, I would say our NavPilot 711C or NavPilot 300. You can view both auto pilot on our web site for specification and choose the one that would work best for you.

YachtyBoy

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

I really need to set up a network now to accommodate the BBBWX4 is my understanding, correct?

I'll ditch the idea of the GP330B and look into the SCX20.

I'm doing this in stages if you will, so I'll have to research the engine data sending portion as well as the transducer.

The BBWX4 is Ethernet based device and can be connected direct to the unit if you have an available port, otherwise you need a network hub. Most people use an inexpensive off the shelf hub.

Also, is Furuno Canbus, which I believe the manual for my GP 1670F says it communicates in NMEA2000 be able to connect to the backbone and won't require an adapter?

The GP1971F has a NMEA 2000/CANbus port with a male deviceNet micro connector designed to connect to a standard drop cable going to a NMEA 2000 bus.

I have an AIRMAR P66 10 pin transducer hooked up to the GP1670F so I'm hoping to be able to share with the TZT12F once I hook the 1670 into the network.

Will the GP1670 be able to use the data from the SCX20 antenna or do I need the GPA-017?

Thank you!

You can share NMEA data like depth numbers with the TZT12F (via 2000) but not sounder picture. The GP1670F is not a Ethernet device or NavNet. The GP1670F should use the SCX20 as a GPS source if you change the setting MENU-INTERFACE-SELECT INPUT DEVICE-POSITION&SOG/COG = AUTO. It will automatically use it as a heading source even if you leave the the unit GPS setup for internal, as long as it is connected to the same 2000 bus.

One more question for now please. When I purchase the AIS FA40 will it be able to use data from the SCX20? I guess I lied. Would you rather I start a new thread for these different topics? We haven't been talking radar for awhile.

Thanks!
Wayne

Also long as you are the original thread owner; it is okay to follow up with other questions that might not completely relate to the original thread question. Hijacking a thread is when you do that to someone else's thread. In those cases people should open a new question rather than hijack a thread belonging to someone else.

The FA40 is a receive only AIS so what are you wanting from it and the SCX20?

I guess I don't understand how the FA40 receives it's signal? In the literature it lists the GPA-017 antenna as an option of which I have one and was planning to install for the GP1670F but since found out could use the SCX20 for it's signal so I'm now wondering if the FA40 could draw it's signal from the SCX20 as well through the 2000 bus or do I still need to mount a GPA-017?

From the Furuno website;

KEY FEATURES:
Silent Mode with optional ON/OFF switch
• Compact and light with wider range and faster transmit performance*
• Internal VHF splitter eliminates need for separate antenna*
• Switchable SO-TDMA and CS-TDMA*
• NMEA2000 port, 2x NMEA0183 ports and a USB (micro B) port
• Initial setup can be done through the NMEA2000 network (TZT2/TZT3)
*FA-70 ONLY

Thanks!
Wayne

In skimming through the owner's manual for the FA-40, I believe that you can use the heading data off of the NMEA2k network. I have an FA-70 that came with the external GPS. I installed everything that came with the system. Never hurts to have redundancy, after all this is all man-made and anything can fail. I will have to go back and check my setting to see what GPS source I used.

Could someone please respond to my post?
The forum is not the place to ask urgent questions because it isn't the official support channel. The forum is users helping users and company volunteers who love helping people. Sometimes it takes time to get an answer here. If you have something pressing, please call support (410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300). You can also open an official support case via our website (http://www.FurunoUSA.com) - Support - Ask a question.

In regards to the FA40, it is a receive only AIS. In general it receives AIS target information via the AIS whip antenna that is installed. It doesn't transmit anything out to other boats so it really doesn't need to have your GPS or Heading information. It is a provider of information to your system, not a consumer. Yes, if you install an optional antenna it can be an extra provider of GPS. You asked if you can use your SCX20 heading and GPS for it. Well not really because it doesn't really need anything from your SCX. If it receives GPS and heading, it doesn't translate that to the 0183. Nor would you want to regurgitate GPS that units already have clear data from the original source. It is not a data converter. Although it doesn't need heading or GPS to do its AIS job, it will use the data to try presorting targets and such. It isn't required but if it shares the same 2000 bus with an SCX20 then it will automatically do that. The AIS will receive and do it's job with or without GPS data. If you want it to be a provider of extra GPS you must connect up a coax antenna. The GPS in the SCX is a better source of data but if you want it as a second source you can add an antenna. You can not use the SCX as a coaxial antenna for the FA40.

Johnny Electron":aa0a1hcg said:
Could someone please respond to my post?
The forum is not the place to ask urgent questions because it isn't the official support channel. The forum is users helping users and company volunteers who love helping people. Sometimes it takes time to get an answer here. If you have something pressing, please call support (410-479-4420 or 360-834-9300). You can also open an official support case via our website (http://www.FurunoUSA.com) - Support - Ask a question.

I understand this forum is for non-urgent information, but you folks usually answer so quickly that when there is no answer after 4 days I was thinking maybe I needed to bring it back to the top. I also realize I could of said that instead of sounding like a panicked 10 year old. :oops: Sorry!

I have never dealt with AIS before so when the literature indicated a GPS antenna was an option I was a little confused :sorry ,and now I think I get it. Thank you!

Back