GP1971F + TM165HW Screenshots // What Settings Should I Change?

surfisher23

Hey guys,

New member here, just switched over from Lowrance to Furuno and I'm loving the transition so far. I am running the GP1971F and the Airmar 165HW - but have a few questions on dialing it all in. I fish the waters off San Diego mainly in depths going to 300' - looking primarily for gamefish such as Yellowtail (you may know these as amberjack or kingfish depending on areas of the world).

Now I think i am so used to running a p66 50/200 and am still learning how these newer machines mark fish with Chirp. So i have a few questions for those of you running these units:

1. Do you keep your ping speed at max at all times? I typically am metering around at 1-4mph, is a max ping speed too much information for these units?
2. I've read on a separate forum you can adjust the acoustics which changes your pulse length - would a higher acoustic setting make the marks on game fish thicker but with less separation between fish?
3. Do you prefer running manual mode or just leaving it in auto fish and adjusting the strength from there?
4. Do any of you use TVG? If so what power do you set it at for depths between 70-120'? All these screenshots are at TVG-1.

Notes:
-Some of these are shot with the scroll speed at 1:1 and some at 1/2 speed.
-A lot of the junk on the bottom is not bait fish but not game fish, they are like big panfish kinda. Nothing exciting to catch but they always mark with a hard reading lol.
-I need to dial back the "Erase weak echos" feature because I thought it would be nice to only see the hard marks but now everything is mostly red lol.
-Some of these shots are in heavy traffic, hence the interference.

I think im off to a good start but just trying to learn more about the furuno machines and what everyone else likes to run because I've seen some awesome returns from these machines.

Screenshot_2024-07-18_16-47-03.png
Screenshot_2024-07-06_01-00-53.png

Screenshot_2024-07-18_15-45-31.png
Screenshot_2024-07-18_16-49-19.png
Screenshot_2024-07-18_17-21-04.png

Last edited:
Very nice returns but a few of them have signs of noise being picked up someplace. @Deep Blue is most equipped to comment but running max ping is what most people do for most sampling. I think there are many users with this machine. Hopefully some of them will comment but it seems you are doing a great job as it is now.

Very nice returns but a few of them have signs of noise being picked up someplace. @Deep Blue is most equipped to comment but running max ping is what most people do for most sampling. I think there are many users with this machine. Hopefully some of them will comment but it seems you are doing a great job as it is now.
Yea the noise is from all the boat traffic. When I took some of these screenshots I was like 20 yards away from other boats in a mix of like 60 boats ha. No noise when I move away from them.

I like to nerd out dialing in my FF - it’s marking great so far but I have a feeling i can squeeze a lot more out of it with some fine detail tweaks! Such an awesome machine compared to my older lowrance.

Back