GP-7000 No Fix

jakeauc

Hello, I am using a furuno GP 7000 for my navigation, which is paired with a GPA017. Last time out, I had a GPS no fix, and was never able to get the gps to get signal. Connection in back of unit, I did a full reset on the unit, diagnostics showed no issues and tested the external antenna, which ohmed out at 270 ohms. Wondering what I might do to continue troubleshooting.

270 is good, a rough check, at least we know it is not shorted or open.
Turn the unit on with GPS antenna disconnected, on the GPS connector jack on the unit, neg lead to outer threaded part and pos lead to female center pin, should have +5Vdc.

If all this is good, then best to slave in a know good Furuno GPS antenna to test. GPA017, GPA018, GPA019, or GPAC01 any of these will do.

270 is good, a rough check, at least we know it is not shorted or open.
Turn the unit on with GPS antenna disconnected, on the GPS connector jack on the unit, neg lead to outer threaded part and pos lead to female center pin, should have +5Vdc.

If all this is good, then best to slave in a know good Furuno GPS antenna to test. GPA017, GPA018, GPA019, or GPAC01 any of these will do.
Connector Jack read 4.959 volts this morning, so that looks good. Not sure I am going to have a buddy with another antenna, so I guess it’s either pay 125 for a new antenna or start thinking about an upgrade!

Looks like I’m only running V2 software, any chance upgrading to V3 clears up issues?

Shops are a little bit further than I would like! I am going to reach out to the local fishing groups to see if anyone has an antenna I can plug into.
Thanks for the help.

Back