GP-330B to DRS4D-NXT CONNECTION

T

TigerLilly

JOHNNY ELECTRON,
We have just received our new FURUNO TZT9 MFD/DRS4D-NXT Radar/ GP-330B GPS Navigation System. We are currently located in East Africa and there is ZERO support here for any kind of technical issues. Back in the late 1960’s I was a Navy First Class Electronics Technician, so I have a dark ages technical background (and the imperfect memory of the typical 71 year-old). I made a temporary hook up of the system in the cockpit so that I could confirm that everything survived the airplane trip from the States before I disconnected our still-working 13 year-old FURUNO Navnet 1753C System - and the new FURUNO system works brilliantly. I have just sent the System ID number off to the FURUNO dealer we bought it from in California (WMJ Marine Electronics) and we are awaiting the unlock codes for the three sets of foreign chart portfolios we purchased with our system. Here are our questions:

GP-330B to DRS4D-NXT CONNECTION
All the FURUNO marketing literature we read regarding this radar states that the GP-330 GPS can be connected to it through the CAN Bus Port on the DRS4D-NXT. A reading of the GPS Operations Manual (page 6 and Page S-1), and the TZT9 Installation Manual (page 2-4 and page 2-8) makes passing reference to this connection, but the DRS4D-NXT Installation Manual does not address the subject at all. I opened up the radome, removed the RF shields on the circuit boards and visually examined the 03P9603 circuit board (port-aft signal processing board with the LAN jack) and the 03P9613 circuit board (starboard-aft board with the power cable connection). It was not at all obvious to me where the connections should be made, nor is the wiring diagram for the connections obvious. The Interconnection Diagram on page S-1 of the GP-330B Operations Manual indicates that the connection is to be made at J603 on the DRS2D/4D sensor, but no mention is made of the DRS4D-NXT model, nor could I find a J603 on either side of either of the two circuit boards.
QUESTION ONE - Please advise where this connection is to be made on the DRS4D-NXT and how the red/blk/wht/blu leads on the GP-330B cable are to be connected.
QUESTION TWO - The GP-330B came with a termination pin to be inserted in the #5 socket on the plug to terminate the GPS on the radar’s CAN Bus (page 8 of the GPS Operations Manual refers). Page 2-4 of the TZT9 shows a 120 OHM-1007#24-L50 (1/4 WATT) Resistor Assembly and indicates that it is “supplied with DRS” and connected between the blue and white leads of the GPS CAN Bus Cable. There was no such separate resistor assembly supplied with our DRS4D-NXT, and a visual perusal of both circuit boards did not indicate that the termination assembly pictured in the TZT9 manual was pre-wired. A careful study of the Packing List provided with our DRS4D-NXT indicates this termination assembly as neither a Supplied Standard Item, nor is it listed as an Optional Item. Please advise the disposition of the DRS4D-NXT 120 OHM terminating resistor.

C-MAP CHART UNLOCKING
The supplied manuals on the TZT9 are mute on this important subject. I did find the System ID in the Main Menu in the Catalog Section, but it is not at all clear to me where the unlock code is to be entered. The US NOAA domestic chart portfolios open just fine, and go right up in scale to show the greatest detail.
QUESTION THREE - Does the TZT9 need to be connected to the Internet to unlock our three optional foreign chart portfolios?
QUESTION FOUR - Please provide the procedure for unlocking our optional chart portfolios. Are the optional foreign chart portfolios (paid for and included in our complete system order) already loaded into the memory of our TZT9, or do they have to be down-loaded?

Thank you for wading through my questions. TIGER LILLY is a Long-time FURUNO boat because we love both your products and your service. We have read the supplied Installation and Operations Manuals carefully before we generated the above FOUR QUESTIONS. The situation I find myself in is that it is now pretty much a “come as you are party” and I have to sort out my system in a place where there is ZERO logistic or technical support. Shipping-in additional components is problematic since the Tanzanian Customs bureau is so very corrupt, and super expensive for technical items. We anticipate that we will be able to buy additional components (if necessary) next year in Durban, South Africa - but for now, I have to make-do with what we have...
Warm regards,
Tom Service
S/V Tiger Lilly
Tanga, Tanzania, East Africa

Question one-
The DRS4D-NXT does not contain a CAN bus (NMEA2000) connection in the antenna.
Question Two-
If you already have a N2K backbone (NMEA2000) the GP330B can be a drop to that backbone as long as you are not exceeding the 6mtr limit of N2K architecture. If there are no other N2K devices on board you will need to create a backbone with a terminator at each end. The pin you mention will be one end. The TZT9 will then be a drop to the backbone.
Question Three-
The charts will not download by connecting the TZT9 to the internet.
Question Four-
Did you receive unlock codes when you purchased the TZT9 and charts? It is doubtful that the reseller downloaded the chart files, opened the box, and installed them. You will have to download the charts you requested and load them on the SD card. Once they appear in the chart catalog you will see an icon to input the unlock code.
If by chance you did not get sent the unlock codes you can PM me your system ID and I can look them up for you.

Back