Fusion & TZT3

Bayhouse

Furuno Super Fan
It looks like based on the Fusion radio model, it can be networked with TZT3 either via Ethernet (e.g. MS-RA770) or via N2K (e.g., RA70N).

Is there a "better" way to network the Fusion radio and are there pros/cons to consider?

Does the answer change if I add the BBWX4 and want XM music?

The origin of this question goes back to something Johnny posted in another thread:

"The Fusion would need to be on the Ethernet network for the TZT2/TZT3 to use it. It is okay to have it on the 2000 bus if needed for another reason but the TZT system will ignore it there."

What does 'ignore it' mean in this context?

The RA-770 will use either the NMEA or the Ethernet. I have found the NMEA connection to be more reliable for controlling through the displays. You just don't get the album art with NMEA. As for Sat radio, I would recommend using the tuner for the fusion and if you wanted the fishmapping use the separate module for the Furuno. The audio that comes off that module requires a display to control it. Kind of a PIA IMO when you are just hanging at the dock. The audio output would be piped into the stero via RCAs on an AUX in port.

I believe at present, Vr. 2.01 software allows for the the Fusion RA-770 connect Via Ethernet OR NMEA2000...but not both. Vr. 1.08 and older is Ethernet connection only. I think that is the point Johnny was trying to make.

Back when that post was done we were at diffrent software so everything needs to be kept in context. Where we are now with software OldIronSides is exactly right. You must pick which method of interfacing; not both. It will no longer IGNORE it on 2000 because the new software is programmed to use it on 2000 (which it didn't have before). One now has to make a choice. Ideally if the unit is on 2000 because of connected remotes; one would select NMEA 2000 as the one choice of interfacing and not have it on the Ethernet. If Ethernet networking is the desired choice, then the Fusions would need to find a separate NMEA 2000 bus of their own, that isn't connect to the Furuno NMEA 2000 bus.

The BBWX4 connects to the Ethernet network, so if I have my Fusion MS-RA770 on that same network can I get the satellite radio data into it that way and have control through of the stations on the head unit or do I need to split the antenna directly into the Fusion and the BBWX4? Can the antenna even be split or would I need 2 antennas?

Fusion has no programming to control the BBWX4. If you run Sirius Audio on the BBWX4 it would normally wire up via an audio jack into your AUX1 of the Fusion. At that point the Fusion is just an amplifier and the channel controls of the BBWX4 are done by the Furuno MFD. The Fusion again has no control over the BBWX4, it is just amplifying the audio. Some Fusion devices have their own Sirius Audio receive built in. If you subscribe and activate that with Sirius then the Fusion has full control over its own receiver, of course.

So to have native station control on the Fusion and have satellite weather on my Furuno system I need two antennas?

Back