FURUNO GP32 connection problem

FVKA2595

I am trying to connect a new Uniden UM385 VHF Marine Radio to a Furuno GP32 for DSC. I have read this two ways and from others that it is not Yel - Yel and Blu - Grn but rather Wht-Yel and Blu - Grn. Does anyone know the correct wiring for these to systems to communicate. I apologize I am finding the two manuals difficult to follow. Just need to get GPS data transmitted to the VHF for emergency DSC.

GP32 transmit wires are white (transmit +) and blue (transmit -) if connecting to radio with RS422 NMEA0183. That's typically what goes to radios.

I looked at the UM385 manual and you would connect as follows to send GPS information to the radio:
GP32 White to UM385 Yellow AND GP32 Blue to UM385 Green

GP32 transmit wires are white (transmit +) and blue (transmit -) if connecting to radio with RS422 NMEA0183. That's typically what goes to radios.

I looked at the UM385 manual and you would connect as follows to send GPS information to the radio:
GP32 White to UM385 Yellow AND GP32 Blue to UM385 Green
I'll give it a shot.

I hooked it up as you said. Still says check GPS.

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpeg
    IMG_0849.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Double check that on the GP32, the I/O Setup menu has NMEA Ver: VER 2.0 and Data1: NMEA-REM1 selected. Also verify if that's your current position...that looks like you're not getting valid GPS position in your picture.

Double checked all I/O settings. Everything looks good. I put the GP32 into SIMULATOR MODE and it sends data just fine……Is it because I am bench testing and once installed onboard it will be fine??????

Getting closer to figuring this all out. I seriously apologize. Simulation mode works.. Now I’m off to figure out why the date and LAT LNG are wrong.

If you're bench testing, is the antenna attached (GPA017) and is it outside with clear view of the sky? If not, that's why it's not giving you position. If worried about it working on boat, then take it to the boat (or at least outside) and put power to the display and see if it works.

Well, the date will never be fine because the GP32 had a GPS rollover and there's no way to fix it. The position (lat/long) and time should still be fine however. If the date is critical, then the GP32 should be replaced with something more current, like the GP39.

Back