Furuno GP 1871F Fish Finder suddenly not working

hilokawika

Aloha,
Recently as I was fishing, the fish finder portion of my Furuno GP-1871 stopped working properly and began cycling through 3-4 different depth ranges. I've checked that the cords were plugged in properly (several times). When I got home and looked at the transducer, there was a small amount of abrasion on the leading edge but no other obvious damage. I don't know how durable the transducer is with respect to small collisions.

I've used the reset/default setting to no avail. Any suggestions for further testing would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome to the Furuno forum. It could be the GP or the transducer, if you can get another 10-pin XDCR and try it on the GP you can know if it's one or the other. Otherwise you could get the transducer tested by a dealer, or send in the GP to Furuno for a service evaluation.

Hope this helps,

- Maggy

Aloha Maggy,
Thanks for your suggestions. The GPS is working fine so, I reckon it's the transducer. Thought they were more durable.
aloha,
David

Aloha Maggy,
Thanks for your suggestions. The GPS is working fine so, I reckon it's the transducer. Thought they were more durable.
aloha,
David
What transducer was it? Transom? Thru-Hull? In-Hull?

- Maggy

Well, now the split screen of gps and fish finder thinks I'm in Hawaii (correct), may be giving the correct depth but continues to cycle through several different depth ranges. And the main gps screen thinks in in Osaka, Japan. Sigh... Probably time for a new box.

Hawaii has two depths, shallow and deep. The P66 may not be great for deep, but it's wide. If deep, you may consider a TM260 if you want to see bottom. Otherwise, IMHO turn off auto range and manually set the depth to 100 - 200ft to keep it from seeking in 1000'+.

- Maggy

Thanks for your suggestions. Most of my bottom fishing is in the 100-300' range. There's a nice 300' dropoff outside of Hilo that runs sub-parallel to shore for many miles. I'll try your suggestion while waiting for the new box to arrive...

Back