Furuno FCV 585 - low voltage alarm

O

oscarv

Have a FCV 585 that keeps showing low voltage and the alarm kept coming on. I checked my supply voltage to the unit and it was always above 12V. Could not find anything wrong on my side.

I sent the unit in to Furuno for repairs and they said they could not find anything wrong and sent it back to me. The unit continued to work for a short time with the low voltage alarm going off and has now stopped working.

Any ideas on what may be wrong. I am thinking of sending to a friend who is more familiar with electronics and who suggested that maybe a capacitor or other similar component may be going bad on the circuit board.

Has anyone experienced similar issues. I am quite sure that power to the unit is good and above 12V.

Ensure you are only connecting the + and Neg (fused wires) up to power. I have seen people cause themselves problems by connecting the cable shield wire up to something. It should not be connected to anything. The back of the unit is grounded with the grounding lug. If the cable shield is connected then you provide a path of electrical flow on the shield wire causing possible voltage differential or grounding loop.

Hi Johnny,

Confirmed that the issue is not the grounding issue you mention. I put the the system under test on a bench. At 12 volts it draws current briefly, screen comes on briefly and then turns off.

I have opened the unit up to see I can see any obvious burned out component or leaky capacitors on the main board. I have not seen any obvious issues.

I have also confirmed that none of the the connectors or solder joints to the connectors have an issue.

Oscar

Sounds like something on the main board. I would recommend sending it into the service center for repair evaluation.

Back