FURUNO 1835 RADAR issue

A

Anonymous

I need help diagnosing an issue that has occurred with my Furuno 1825 radar.

I am an experienced RADAR operator having had a 4 Kw RAYTHEON RADAR with a 4 foot open array for the last 20 years on my 46 foot Full Displacement Diesel Trawler. I had installed that unit my self as well. it was a Good radar for that time it was built, but 20 years old is just not the latest technology, so an up grade was wanted to the great FURUNO radar all my friends talk about.

I wanted to upgrade to a new Furuno unit as every one always tells me they are the best, So I just purchased & installed a new FURUNO 1835- 4 Kw radar with the 24 inch DOME antenna & the 10.4 inch LCD color display .

I am an experienced Marine Electronics installation technician & am well versed in working with radio frequency & marine electrical equipment & marine electronics in the marine environment.
So I have now just finished the FRUNO 1835 RADAR installation. The RADAR installation was pretty straight forward & I had no issues or problems with the install at all. All the factory cabling & connections all mated up perfectly & was straight forward.
I utilized all the same radar mounting locations on my boats radar arch where the previous radar was mounted & utilized the same cable routing & power source as well. I even put the new 10.4 inch internal display all in same locations as before.
I have verified the correct voltages, grounds, no kinked or chafing cables, etc. are all available & adequate & have no voltage drop across any of the connections.
The RADAR antenna is about the usual 5 meters above the water line that many boats my size have & I inputted that height into the new radar when I did the initial set up. However, I have not been happy with its performance. l\Please let me explain the issue. So I need some help. :huh :questions

Example: Last weekend I took the boat out of the slip for the first time with its new FURUNO 1835 RADAR. I took it out to the quiet water of the turning basin in my harbor to do the usual final set up & minor tweaking adjustments to the radar.
So I did the fine tuning, the receiver gain adjustment, the sea state clutter, the rain clutter, the Gain adjustment, etc...
Most are automatic, I followed the factory manual for all the set up menus & all seemed to be going well. I did not expect it to be any big thing & it all went exactly according to how the manual said it would go.
All seemed to be working good. I had Good definition on the radar display. I could see other boats, the harbor outline, etc... All was working fine & displaying fine. I was a happy camper with my new FURUNO RADAR ! :furuno

I was in the turning basin for about a half hour doing the usual needed new installation tweaks & adjustments & all. I was predominately on the 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 mile scales in the harbor & all was working fine after getting it all set up.

Then I went out into the open ocean & operated it on 1.5, 3, 6, 12 mile scales for a couple or three hours out there experimenting with the unit & then came back to the harbor.

Here is the issue -- Upon entering the harbor & lowering down the scale to what was appropriate for the harbor to the 1/2 mile & the 1/4 mile scale like before. I was shocked that I could not discern any of the previously clear harbor radar image at all. It was just some unidentifiable splotches & blips here & there on the RADAR display screen. I was not able to see the outline of the harbor like before or any boats in it when again in the same turning basin location like I was able to do before just 3 hours earlier. I tried all the usual adjusting & had no luck getting anything useable for navigation. It just showed "gobble de goop" on the display & certainly was completely unusable for any navigation in any way. I have checked the installation & all connections & they all check good. Power & voltages all within specs.

What happened ! It now does not present an image on my FURUNO 1825 display that is usable in any way for navigation. its not blank or dim, just no true representation of the outside environment is depicted on the display as it was before. its just random blotches. Yet before all was fine just a couple hours earlier.

What am I missing or what did I do wrong, or what would cause this issue ?

I need your assistance with this issue.

Thanks.

Mike

The unit offers a sea clutter setting called ADVANCED and COASTAL. When in open water, it should be on advanced and when using the radar in a built up coastal area, it should be setup to coastal. It could be that you are in the coastal area without the unit setup for the coastal processing. It also could be that the radar has something near it on the boat that the radar is bouncing off of (radar reflections) that is causing the radar to tune down. Being the radar is new, there is almost no likelihood that the unit has a problem. I recently worked a case like this and they had mounted the radar near a metal mast without sector blanking the radar. It might be best to contact tech support while you are on the boat to see if they can't help you determine the problem.

Back