Furuno 1815 - disappointed with range

Ralcpa

I have an 1815 w/ 19” dome mounted on the forward third of center console ttop. I have it on a 6” Seaview mount with a 2 degree forward cant. No other obstructions other than radio antenna. I have set everything to auto tune and implemented echo stretch, trail duration, etc. to improve marks. I don’t get radar marks beyond 1.5-2 miles, even large fishing fleets in the 2-5 mile range do not show up. Totally disappointed. Not sure where to go from here other than upgrading. Manual tuning makes me nervous since trying to optimize for 2-6 mile range may hide close objects. Any other users with same experience or recommendations for improvement?

Can you post any full photos of the vessel showing the top and the radar was well?
What is the voltage at the power cable?
What is the condition of the power connections? Anything loose? Any corrosion?
Are the connections between the display and antenna clean and tight?

Thanks. Newly installed last year, it’s been this way from the start. I’ll check the voltage at the cable and report back. Since you mentioned voltage, I noticed that when I manually tune the gain, there is a voltage reading on the tuning bar (I think I recall seeing 6.6 or 6.8 volts but will confirm this weekend). Is there a normal range I should expect, is that low? Normal? High?

Pic attached. The outriggers are not always in the forward rod holders…as you’d guess. ;)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 70741949215__3A64CA66-FC9E-4A17-B91A-6F1B5743423C.jpeg
    70741949215__3A64CA66-FC9E-4A17-B91A-6F1B5743423C.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 7
Back