Fuel Tracking for Trip Log

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
It would be good if the Trip Log data box could have an additional line that displayed total fuel consumption over the trip.recorded.

This has been available on other manufacturers' MFDs for years.

Thanks for the input. I saw the suggestion under the normal post yesterday and already sent it to product development. They have already started discussing. Thanks for submitting the idea.

That's great. Can't be too hard to implement since the manual fuel tank function tracks fuel consumption already. But I am sure the software folks have a lot on their plate.

New Furuno user here and I can't believe this is not available on the TZT3. The information is available as the unit is calculating current burn, Just needs to total it up and display it.

The Garmin 8617 MFD has this function. I had a couple of them before getting the TZT 3s. It would be good to have something as comprehensive. Here is an excerpt from the manual listing it:

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 3.52.31 PM.png

This and better chart options are why I still have a Simrad in my system. I'd love to be able to replace it with another Furuno instead!

Should we anticipate a software update before the winter? I am harboring hopes for this feature. Although it has not been hinted at, I am also hoping for some more magic in the signal processing of the DRS25A-NXT radar to further enhance its performance. While it is excellent, especially for navigation, it doesn't quite equal the bird finding ability of the 25kW magnetron radars at ranges over 4-5 miles.

@Quitsa product development is asking if you know a brand and model that has this trip fuel feature so they can look into it further.
Lorance hds I had before had a trip menue which have you fuel used for the trip and a reset feature.
It also tracked total fuel used to date. This data was availabel per engine.

I did a little research and it seems to me that providing trip fuel data is really quite a simple matter. NMEA 2000 PGN 127497 is "Trip Fuel Consumption Engine". All that has to be done is provide for a data box that can display this PGN's data.

My engine gauges have NMEA 2000 bridging and take the J1939 format data from the engines and output it to the NMEA 2000 network. That's the source of the fuel rate and other engine data that I can already display on my TZT 3s. I have monitoring software on my laptop and can see that the 127497 PGN is on the network but the TZT 3 does not seem to read it and allow it to be chosen for a data box. Just as happens now with fuel rate, the TZT 3 could also process the data and add together the trip fuel from more than one engine. I would be happy even if it just showed it for each engine and had to have two boxes. In some ways that is better because I have separate fuel tanks for each engine and there is typically a small difference in fuel consumption between the two engines that on a long trip can add up to a couple of gallons.

The SMG4 gages on my cat have the Fuel Used display. Do not see why Furuno did not account for this critical data. Seems like people have been asking for this for a while.

The SMG4 gages on my cat have the Fuel Used display. Do not see why Furuno did not account for this critical data. Seems like people have been asking for this for a while.

I have Seaboard SMX displays for my Cummins engines and they also have a resettable trip fuel display and as I mentioned output this to the NMEA 2000 network on the boat that the TZT 3s are also on..

Back