Folding Seaview mount

cltamt

I'm removing a Humming Bird rod rack2.jpgGPS sensor and mounting a DRS4DL radome to my 247 Albemarle Express hardtop and since boat has a top mounted rod rack that sticks up about 10 inches I'm thinking about using Seaview's 10" strut w/light bar so the sensor can see over the rack. I would like to use the Seaview folding mount since I trailer this boat and I think overall it'll be too tall.

Will it damage the radome to lay it down? Has anyone else used this mount?

I appreciate it! :D

cltamt,

Mounting the DRS4DL radome to the Seaview's 10" strut should not be an issue. Please note that there is a Gortex Filter on the bottom of the DRS4DL that allows for air circulation and prevents condensation of the unit.

So if you are transporting the unit in a down position for extended periods, I highly recommend placing a plastic cover (bag) over the DRS4DL in any type of wet environment, as to ensure there is no water intrusion into the bottom of the Radome.

Hope this helps..? ;)
- Deep Blue

Thank you for that Deep Blue!

I'm going to go ahead and order the parts and mount it. I'll have to determine whether or not to fold it forward or aft, but it seems to me folding it forward will give the best clearance. I had already decided to have my local boat canvas company make a protective bag with a draw string to to keep water out while trailering. Maybe they can sew in some form of padding to help also. I'm sure I can secure the whole thing down with bungee's.

I guess what I was mainly concerned about was moving the boat with the sensor laying on its side - or in the case of folding it forward - upside down.

Thank you!

Water is the concern when transporting on its side. A plastic bag isn't a great option either because water can condensate inside the bag and then get into your dome via the vent. You would need to keep a very good eye on it so you don't end up with water.

Thank you Johnny!

I'll keep that in mind when I have a cover made and make sure there's no possibility of water intrusion. The only time it'll be covered is during transport when it's laid down a couple of times per year. Otherwise the boat will be on its lift with the strut extended and locked in place and no need for the cover.

Larry

Back