FM4800 vs FM4850

F15DOC

Hi all, my first post, likely a dumb question but I can't seem to find an answer elsewhere.
What is the difference between the FM4800 vs FM4850 VHS radios?
I am going to install the TZ Touch 3 - TZT12F with a DRS4D-NXT radar and as of yet undecided depth sounder. The boat has very old Furuno gear on it that will be coming off, including an old fishfinder and even an old GPS system with antenna.
So, back to my question, is the FM 4800 more of a standalone radio whereas the 4850 is more designed to be used with the TZ Touch systems? As the TZT12F has a built in GPS, do I still need a GPS antenna?
Boat is for cruising the waterways around puget sound, WA.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Brownsville.jpg
    Brownsville.jpg
    748.5 KB · Views: 1,803
The only difference is the FM4850 is a Black Box version which means it has the processor unit separate, handset (Fully Function) with a small lcd display built on it and 8ohm intercom speaker. The FM4800 is an all in one system that has the processor and display into one unit which you would normally see on a standard VHF radio. All functions are the same but the FM4850 does not have a built-in gps and would require an external gps antenna to function. The nice thing with the FM4850, you have an option to add 2 additional remote handset interfaces to it and the FM4800 only has 1 additional handset option. Max cable run for a remote handset is 30 meters. You can integrate either one to the TZT3 display and receive DSC function and AIS. I would highly recommend to get an external NMEA2000 gps antenna and use it for your main gps source with the TZT3 display such as a GP330B or our new satellite compass (SCX20) that would provide gps and heading data which you would want both data for navigating using the chart plotter and heading data for radar. With the existing transducer on the boat, you might be able to utilize it and connect it to the back of the TZT12F display with the adapter cable provided with the TZT3. As long it’s a good working transducer that is a 10pin connection. On the back of the TZT12F is a 12pin connection for either a conventional (50/200khz) or a 12pin CHIRP transducer but it comes with an 10pin to 12pin adapter cable for using older 10pin conventional transducer. Just a thought or you can replace your transducer with a new one which can be either a standard 50/200khz or a new CHIRP transducer.

YachtyBoy

Wow, what great intel, thanks!
I only need 1 additional handset for the flybridge, so it sounds like either would work. As I will be using the gps function through the TZT3 and will take your advice on the gps compass antenna, it doesn’t matter which I use, might as well get the cheaper 4800... funny it’s cheaper but it is the one with gps?

So, along that line of comparing the two VHF units.
I appears the handset for the 4850 has all of the controls, which means you can separately control freq/vol etc from any of the attached handsets correct?
vs the 4800 only has control on the main unit, and although you can have a second handset, it does not control the settings independently. Does that mean the remote handsets are different between the 4850 and the 4800?
ie. the 4800 handsets are just a mic handset whereas the 4850 is a full functionality handset?

I know you can connect it, but I think on the Furuno site or maybe a forum, I read that the command mic will not change the settings or channels on the 4800 base station.

No the HS4800 command MIC must be used out the back of the FM4800 but it is fully functional for changing channels and such. Not sure who is feeding bad information. The power button on the HS will only power off the HS. If you leave it on, it will turn on (and off) with the FM4800. You can't turn on the FM4800 with the command MIC that must be done on the main unit. Normally you would leave it off until you need to have that station active. Short of turning on the full radio, the command mic is fully functional.

Nope that was my bad... I misread on this post that a second handset cant tune a second channel, but it can tune a primary freq... thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6158
No reason for me not to get the 4850 with 2 handsets.
Does the handset have a speaker built into it, or will I need a second speaker for the flybridge?

It appears you can get a separate speaker like the SP4800 but the handset has a small speaker in it so you wouldn't normally need to. It is basically the same headset used on the FM4850 Black box radio. FM4850Speaker.JPG

So it looks like there are 2 handset choices for the FM4800 but I would imagine for the 4850 you would need the fully function HS-4800 handset and not just the MIC-4800...

Back