Fish Finder Disconnection Alarm

rsysol

I have been getting unusual readings from my sounder for several weeks now. The issue started after I had my boat hauled and bottom painted. I've checked the transducer and there is no bottom paint on the unit, I had a diver check as well.

I have a TZT14 MFD with the DDF1 sounder and an Airmar 600w transducer, all these items are just over one year old. I have not had any issues with the unit until the event noted above. I just updated the software to the latest version, that did not help.

The system no longer displays any bottom information. I do get a periodic readings on sea temp and bottom depth but only for a few seconds each minute or so, they seem accurate. I also get a periodic "Fish Finder Disconnection Alarm" on the TZ14. This happens every five minutes or so, beeps twice then clears.

My thoughts is that I have a couple of issues but I'm looking for suggestions on where to start. I have checked all the connections between the MFD, DDF and the transducer and they seem good.

Thoughts?

Is the sounder directly connected to the MFD or is there a hub?
Did any one change the any dip switches on the sounder since it was working fine?
If you haven't done so, I would temporally slave in a network cable directly from the sounder to the MFD and use a different port on the MFD than current.

Johnny, thanks for the quick response. I did misspeak, my sounder is a BBDS1 and is directly connected to the MFD via a network cable. I have radar and AIS connected to the other two ports.

I've swapped ports and there is no difference in performance. I have not changed any switches as they are not accessible externally on the sounder.

One interesting thing is that when I first started getting the disconnect alarm it would be two beeps and then clear, now it's four beeps and a clear. Almost like a port is slowly failing, since I've swapped ports on the MFD, possibly on the sounder?

It is possible but MUCH more likely to be the network cable. Tie wraps too tight, tight bends, corrosion etc.. can take a toll on network cables. I would slave in a standard PC network cable between the units as a test. If it fixes it, I would get the correct metal RJ45 shielded replacement cable. If the unit still has issues with another cable; the sounder should be sent into the service center for evaluation. As a shot in the dark, you might also back up your setting/points and then factory clear the display unit. Sometimes after software updates, if things are strange, a clear can make all the difference.

Johnny, thanks again. Looks like it is the unit that is failing, I'll be sending it back for warranty repair shortly. Appreciate the troubleshooting tips.

Back