Fi-70 and a DST800 to replace a Fi-50? TZ2 and a Airmar V744V for depth. So, a main and a backup depth source.

JohnB

Hi there. I have a Furuno FI-50 which is not functioning correctly showing 3 dashes. Only works in still water, not when moving. When moving the boat it works 5% of the time and repeats on the TZ2. Would replacing it with a FI-70 and a DST800 work? I also have a TZTouch2 and a AirMar B744V 50/200 hertz sounder.

Can I install a new FI-70 with a DST800 as a stand alone backup and have the Airmar B700V linked to the TZ2? Or would there be a conflict? Currently the TZ2 is linked to the FI-50 which does not work well. Works for depth only 5% of the time. In my setup the B744V is not shown in the TZ2. I suspect that the transducer was toast so the FI-50 was later installed.

Also is there a better choice for a Furuno small scale about 4" x 4" depth sounder display Vs the FI-70?

The boat is a Tollycraft 44 CPMY. Thanks, John

While the FI50 is a commercial product not normally supported here, it is likely to be a problem with the depth provider not the Furuno Instrument display. If it works in still water and stops working when moving; the source transducer is most likely being "jammed" by water turbulence. fish finders and depth sensors need clear water to pick up bottom and provide depth. It sounds like the current transducer location is an issue on that boat. If you used a FI-70 with a DST800 in a good location where the DST800 can get clean water, sure that would work. If your TZT2 transducer has clear water, you could use thee 0183 output of the MFD to send it over to the existing FI-50 and it should be able to display the depth. The FI70 is one of my fav instrument displays, yet if the FI50 works why spend the money. You would ultimately need to fix the transducer depth not the display.

Back