FCV588 Problem

M

mmmk1985

i have FCV 588 with 1 kw transduce thru-hull boat it 6 years ago
it was working fine without any issue until yesterday suddenly it stopped showing depth number and keep changing the range, i switched the range to the manual it shows echo but looks like at a very low gain
i tried to increase the gain through gain wheel but it doesn't do anything
can anyone help me with this issue, how to diagnose or solve it?
i bought the set 6 years ago so i don't remember the transducer model but it is 1 kw thru-hull transducer

It is either the transducer or the sounder. The transducer might have gotten hit by something. I would recommend getting a loaner transducer to hang over the edge of the boat to connect to the sounder for testing. If not that, maybe take your sounder to a friends boat and try with their transducer. Many dealers have an Airmar transducer tester (TDT1000) that can test the transducer at the boat.

mmmk1985":1zmf4q24 said:
i switched the range to the manual it shows echo but looks like at a very low gain

So if you were running in "Auto fishing" gain mode. The range is automatically selected to display the bottom echo in reddish brown. Than you switched into manual range, if you switched to a low manual range of say between "5" - "8" this would account for very low gain. Did you press in the gain knob to show the gain settings, than adjust up or down the auto gain offsets of +5/-5 or did you just spin the knob?

I would review sections on gain and range from the ops manual and maybe go back to auto-cruising mode / auto range modes.

View attachment fcv628_fcv588_operators_manual.pdf

Hope this helps, :sail

- Maggy

Back