FCV1150 issues

Last Sight

Ive got a FCV1150 paired to a airmar r509lh that doesnt seem to be performing as well as i thought. The boat is a 50’ Leblanc which is a novi semi-displacement hull. Travel speed is under 8 knots. Both unit and transducer is new install from 7 month ago.
Around 120’ if i have just the HF on ill loose the bottom depth, so i turn on dual to keep the bottom. Havent tried anything over 400’ but planning on starting to fish in up to 1500’ for bottom fish so would like to resolve any issues prior.
Also i do know i have some interference and plan on rerouting the transducer cable to see if i can eliminate some noise.
Was looking for any other advise or settings to try. Thanks
Randy

Thank you Last Site,

Couple of things to confirm:

Can you provide a photo of the dual frequency mode when on the fishing grounds? This will be the helpful for us to understand what is going on.

Please verify the Tap Settings for both LF and HF

What frequency are you running the LF Channel
What Frequency are you running the HF Channel

What is the output power set at:
What is the TX Rate Set at:
Pulse length for HF
Pusle length for LF

In the calibration menu: what is the Bottom level set at?

33-D70-BEB-8121-47-AB-9-A01-CE7-BB4-F4-B452.jpg

287-B0-BCB-7-DCE-4-DFB-8-FB9-10-EF75615-E10.jpg

84-D2992-A-1017-4-D4-F-80-B7-0-A0-DAD90-DE2-C.jpg

636-CA590-69-E1-411-F-B188-FB291039-D7-C6.jpg

51-F6-FFAC-A0-B5-4-E5-E-A149-BE5-E7-BA57-F07.jpg

First picture is on manual gain and the next two is auto for LF and manual on high.
I also attached picture of the back of the connectors and set the frequency based on a pdf i had received from Furuno. But would have to check on all the other info as im not 100% on all the settings off hand. Ill be headed to the boat tomorrow to check and verify.
Randy

Edit: the connections on the rear of the machine is only showing the LF tap setting but the HF is the same way

LF frequency is 42
HF frequency is 192
Output power- 10
TX rate- max
HF pulse rate- short2
LF pulse rate- short2
Bottom level set at 0

I am sure C-bass or one of the acoustic Gods will chime in but the transducer cable doesn't appear correct. The transducer shields should be grounded under that metal hold down or to that grounding screw for good ground connection. It appears to be taped up without proper connection.Capture8887.JPG

The pink wire that is taped up is for the NMEA wires. I have the transducer shield stripped and rolled back onto the strap holding the cables down

Good afternoon Last Sight,

I would say yes the high frequency appears to be weak.

Couple things you could try would be to swap the LF and HF channels and reprogram the transducer setup. So when you switch to the low frequency on the sounder mode you would be looking at the high frequency of the transducer and vice versa. This would tell us if the HF channel on the FCV295 is weak.

Do you have access to an airmar Transducer tester? This would allow you to test the transducer for phase and impedance to see if the transducer has failed?

C-Bass

C-Bass i could try to swap it out and run the test again. When i do so do i change the frequencies also or leave the programmed at 42 for LF and 200 for HF but in reality they will be switched.
Unfortunately ive tried calling everyone local to see if anyone has one and they do not. They just tell me they bring a new transducer and monitor and swap them out to test it. Thanks for the help.
Randy

No you will want to switch the frequencies too so the transducer will be pinging around resonant frequency.

Where are you located?

Im located in Dulac, Louisiana.
I reran everything and going out tomorrow so can report back on what i find. Thanks for the help
Randy

Just came in and did take a few pictures throughout the trip. First one is on the water out in 55’ water
68-B3-A0-DB-DBDA-46-A8-9789-4-F03-EBD8-D16-A.jpg

This one is of a spot i was fishing
3-EA77-D72-B13-E-4797-94-B3-A26-BA8-EB2716.jpg

This next few is with nothing on but the furuno
5-FCCDB8-A-1-D25-4-DFB-91-C7-42-C5447253-D1.jpg

Next three pics i had switched the Lf and Hf sides like CBass recommended
784701-C9-E729-4-E64-A62-C-B287-D625-CCCE.jpg

A9-A2-E1-FC-2-DE6-4-A78-9002-8-E2231-A985-B0.jpg

3-E77-F947-0-BF2-4110-AEBA-3077-E63721-C2.jpg

At this point it seems as if i have a big paper weight and about to switch it back to my old FCV1500 with an old 1kw transducer. Any help would be appreciated
Randy

Thank you for the photos and the testing. After switching the HF and LF channels, it appears the weak target presentation follows the transducer, which is a good indicator the FCV1150 is doing working properly and there does not appear to be an issue with the TX for the FCV1150.

I think at this stage we need to really examine the transducer's HF channel.

I spoke with a representative at Airmar, we need to try and test the transducer's HF channel with a transducer tester, either EDI or the Airmar Tester.

Airmar did say they have a dealer around your called Outcast Marine Inc., 16780 Highway 90, Des Allemands, LA 70030. They have have a AirmarTDT1000 tester. I would consult with them to see if they can make it to your vessel to test the transducer. That will likely be the best next step to try and figure out the health of the transducer.

Kind Regards
C-Bass

Well i ended up getting outcast marine to come test the transducer and they indicated the HF is out of range.
0221-DDBB-2961-4628-9-EC8-6-CA687046-F71.png

Looking at the graph for the tester i am alittle confused on why the impedence on the LF around 40 kHz spikes? Is that supposed to be normal? But looks like i will be waiting for a new transducer as i am told the R509LH are on back order for quite some time. Thank you again for all your help
Randy

Back