FCV 295 with 38BL-9HR Transducer

Strider493

I've got my 295 up and running and have some questions on my next step.

This summer, I would like to get a transducer to use while deep dropping for swordfish. Depths would range from 1200' to 2000'. I don't need it to be able to read bottom while going very fast. My plan is to use it while moving at no faster than 8 knots. I don't need it to mark swordfish (although that would be great) but instead to find the thicker/denser areas along the deep scattering layer. I could mount it on my boat as a custom pocket mount, or maybe in a custom transom mount/pole mount setup.

I've done some reading and it seems like the 2 kHz 38BL- 9HR might be a good choice but I'm not certain about this.

These are my questions:

1) Does that transducer seem like a good choice for that specific use?

2) Does this transducer need to be surrounded on all sides by liquid to stay cool, or could this transducer be mounted as a pocket mount with just the face of the transducer exposed to the ocean? (Wet faced mount)

3) With the FCV295, when I have the MODE knob turned to HF, does that mean that the LF transducer is not transmitting at all? Meaning, could I leave it wired up and pull it out of the water without harming it, just so long as I leave the mode knob on HF?

4) Is there a place in the menu to instruct the machine to transmit at 1KW for my 200kHz transducer (SS264N) while also having the machine transmit at 2 KW for the 38-BL-9HR? Or does the machine know to transmit at the correct power somehow for each transducer, without being instructed?

5) When looking at the drawings of the 38BL-9HR, it appears that there are two holes in the transducer for bolts of some sort. Am I seeing that correctly?

Thanks.

Hello Strider493,

See below regarding your FCV295 questions.

1.) Yes, that is a good transducer choice with a 20.5x20.5 degree beam angle. You could also consider the 1 kW CA28F-8 which has a 31x34 degree beam angle or the 2 kW CA28BL-6HR which has a 22x32 degree beam angle. At those depths any of these transducers would be sufficient but keep in mind the CA28F-8 is lower powered, but a wider beam angle so the 2000' depth range might be pushing its capabilities.

2.) All of these transducers are meant to be mounted outside the hull, or wet faced. In a typical installation you would have either a transducer tank on the outside if the hull, or it would be fiderglassed into a pocket in the hull. I hope that helps.

3.) Yes, if you have the HF selected on the FCV295 the LF frequency will not be transmitting.

4.) The FCV295 uses TAP settings to determine frequency and power output. Please refer to the below document.
https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... ttings.pdf

5.) No, as noted in #2, these transducers are meant to go into a tank or a pocket mount. There are recessed areas on the face of the transducer where it can "sit" into a plate that can connect to a tank, or a piece of fiberglass that's then mounted to the outside of the hull.
You can see that in the drawing here.

https://www.furunousa.com/-/media/sites ... manual.pdf

Please let us know if this helps.

StoneFly

Thank you so much for your help and the links to the documents. Once I get things installed I will come back and update the forum on how things are going.

Thanks again.

Back