FCV 295 Temp Sensor Wiring

Strider493

Hi Folks,

First off, thanks for all your help so far.

I want to be sure I have my colors correct for wiring up my temperature sensor. My transducers are the paired SS264N's.

The 6 pin pigtail that I have to plug into the back of the 295 has these wire colors- white, black, yellow, green, and bare wire.

The wires from the transducer are these colors - (I know the group of black, blue, and bare are the transducer data and not for temp) so the temperature sensor choices are - brown, white, red, orange, green, and bare wire.

I've been digging around in the forum and I think this is the correct pairing of wires for the 295:

xdcr brown goes to pigtail black
xdcr white goes to pigtail yellow,
xdcr bare goes to pigtail bare

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Hello,

If you're using just a standard 6pin NMEA cable, it is going to be white to black and brown to yellow.

Yikes! I was way off. The 6 pin cable I have is this one:

Furuno NMEA Pigtail Cable 6 Pin - #000-154-054

I assume that is the cable you are talking about as being the standard NMEA cable?

So it will be:

xdcr white goes to pigtail black

xdcr brown goes to pigtail yellow

bare goes to bare

Thanks.

Yup, that is correct.

After you wire the temp sensor, make sure the data source is set to [own] if you don't see temp.

Menu > data > temp source [own]

Hi Kicker.

I got out on the water this weekend and tested the FCV 295. I had trouble with the temperature. The temperature shown on the screen jumped around about 5 degrees (from 31 F to 36F) and the graph line on the screen that represents the temperature graph just showed as a series of tiny blue dots. I am going to try to attach a picture to show it. In the picture, the blue dots show up just above the sea bed, but that is just coincidence. If I went to the data menu and picked NMEA as the source for the temperature, instead of Own, those dots went away.

EDIT TO ADD- I don't know if this helps you diagnose, but in DEMO mode, the temp graph shows up as a line instead of the dots. Also in DEMO mode, the temp starts out reading an accurate temp, but it slowly goes up and up over time as if the temp sensor is getting warm.

Just to review my situation: My unit is an FCV 295 and my transducers are a pair of SS264N's. 50kHz and 200kHz. I wired the 6 pin NMEA cable to the transducer cable that comes off of the 200kHz Transducer. My previous sounder was an FCV 588 and the temp numbers and graph worked fine when these transducers were wired to that unit.

I have doublechecked the wiring between the transducer and the 6 pin NMEA cable and everything is wired as described in my post above.

Maybe I should have wired the 6 pin cable to the 50kHz transducer? I thought they both had temp sensors in them and it wouldn't make a difference.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 295 temp pic.jpg
    295 temp pic.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,306
I got a better picture showing the temp graph line. These dots below the sea bottom are the line. Each dot represents a temperature reading and the numerical reading is jumping around like this too. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 295 TEMP PIC 4.jpg
    295 TEMP PIC 4.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 1,259
That doesn't see related to the temp graph but it might be noise related to your temp wiring. What happens if you leave the temp setup for OWN and then remove the 6 pin (speed/temp) cable from the FCV295?

I think I've figured it out.

I decided to try wiring it the way I had originally planned and I am getting a good line now. I went out today and the temperature only moves around a couple of tenths of a degree and it leaves a nice steady line on the screen. I am wondering if I have an old version of the 6 pin cable maybe? I went back and looked at the listing when I bought it and it said "new old stock". Anyways, it seems good now.

Thanks for giving it a shot.

Back