FCV 295 Paired with Airmar SS175 H-W

S

Serg78

Hi guys,

I'm running an SS175H-W (zero degree) hooked up to my FCV 295.
Boat is a Cruise Craft 685 HT.
works and reads perfect in shallow water at speed and at drift,

however when i head into deeper water i get a lot of clutter only between the 5 knts to 9 knots speed. when the boat is at drift picture clears up soon as i click into gear and accelerate to 7-8 knots (trolling Speed) the clutter comes up.

i have noticed when i trim the engine right up and almost out of the water the screens clears up a little. Or when i increase my speed to over 12knots or faster the screen clears up. however i never loose bottom and bottom is always solid.

i have attached some images and short video. (Cant upload video)
Note: front Transducer is (82B-35R) The rear Transducer (SS175HW)
any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5487.jpg
    IMG_5487.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 2,286
  • IMG_5496.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg
    803.1 KB · Views: 2,284
  • IMG_5495.jpg
    IMG_5495.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 2,283
Serg78,
I don't see the link to the video.
Can you try to post it again?

Snips

Snips struggling to download seems to be a large file
ill try and put up a link

Serg78,
What I would really like to see is both frequencies at different vessel speeds. While your fairing has a nice shape I don't think it has enough depth to be effective across a wide range of speeds.

Snips

Serg78,
I could only see a part of your video but it was enough to see what you were talking about. What you are seeing is affecting both frequencies but is more noticeable on the HF side. However I am a little concern about the LF side also. I see that you have speckle down to around 75m and when you increase the speed it goes down to 100m. What are your TVG and Clutter settings. As far as the overall noise when your speed increases do you have the sounder grounded? Are the shields of the transducers grounded to the case of the FCV-295? If the sounder is grounded I would try removing the ground wire to see what happens. In looking at your bottom returns I don't see any gaps so your fairing is doing a good job with the flow of water going over the face of the transducer.

Snips

Wiring to FCV 295

Attachments

• IMG_5610.jpg
    IMG_5610.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 2,243
  • IMG_5611.jpg
    IMG_5611.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 2,242
  • IMG_5612.jpg
    IMG_5612.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 2,243
wiring and plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_5615.jpg
    IMG_5615.jpg
    901 KB · Views: 2,242
  • IMG_5617.jpg
    IMG_5617.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 2,242
  • IMG_5618.jpg
    IMG_5618.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 2,243
transducer settings

Attachments

• IMG_9439.jpg
    IMG_9439.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 2,242
settings

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 1,829
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 1,829
  • IMG_5433.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 1,829
TVG LEVEL- usually between 3 & 5.
TVG Distance - Always set to the depth i'm fishing in I.e 70 m deep water ( TVG DISTANCE SET TO 70 m

Clutter generally 40-50%
colour erase-25-30%
TX power- 10 or Auto?
TX Rate 20 or MAX?
TX Pulse Short 1 or 2?

RX Band Stanard.

would like to hear you feed back.
Much appreciated!
Cheers sergio

To add to this is have wired up the 295 to a brand new battery which was not connected to the boat but simply placed on the deck, i thought it may be electrical noise. however still doing this.

i have attached a copy of the transducer in which i have installed a plastic collar to give the ss175 more depth and penetrate deeper in the water and effectively sit deeper in the water columns than the 82B -35R which is in front.
I'm still having the same issues...

is the High frequency in the unit faulty?
is the transducer faulty?

As previously mentioned when the engine is trimmed to the point its cavitating the screen clears up not 100% but at least 50% more clear.

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 1,833
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 1,828
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 1,828
Serg78,
Thanks for the settings. In looking at your video you are not seeing gaps in the bottom or water column speckle, if you did I would suspect turbulence. And as you found out lowering the 175 really didn't help.

However do have a interesting combination of TX settings. At this point I would do a system restore and go back to the FCV-295's base settings. Set the TX Rate at 20, TX Power on 10 and screen advance on 1/1 just to see what they do.

Also you didn't reply to how the transducer shields were grounded or if the case of the sounder was grounded.

Snips

Hi snips
I’ve attached photos on page 1 showing how the transducer cables have been connected.
Please Let me know if you require more information
Cheers

Serg78,
Sorry I didn't scroll back far enough to see the wiring, which is correct.
Do you have a case ground?

I know you are more concerned with the HF side but you LF side has an issue also. To have speckle from the surface down to 75m and nothing below until the bottom is very strange. When you the speed increases this speckle appears along with the noise on the HF side. However this could be due to the combination of TX settings you are using. I am curious why are you using a LF long pulse?

So going forward I would default your settings and run the FCV-295 have only one transducer at a time connected. Also I would disconnect your NMEA cable. Back to basics, power and one transducer to see what happens. If you still have noise, add or disconnect the ground wire. You can also disconnect the transducer shield from the case to see what happens.

Snips

Hi Snips
What do you mean by Case ground? This is The seperate grounding nut on the back of the unit right? Where on fibre glass boat would I ground this to?
Transducer Shield wire is the bare wire connected to the metal block on the back of the unit right?
Power is currently connected to Red positive bus box and negative to bus bar.
I’ll provide some images.

As for the Long Pulse on LF that’s how the furno rep here in Australia set it up.
I have noticed when I change from short pulse 2 or standard
to Long Pulse the image cleans up in Long Pulse.

What is the procedure to do a hard reset?

Serg78,
You can expect to see a difference when you change the FCV-295's pulse length setting. For most applications I like to use Short 1 (see below) on both frequencies. You will find the FACTORY RESET to be at the bottom of the SYSTEM menu.

Snips

Attachments

• Pulse length.jpg
    Pulse length.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 1,796
Thanks snips
What are your thoughts on the
200B-5s (200KHZ) transducer and replacing it instead 175?

Serg78,
It really depends what you are looking for out of the 200Khz side, fish detection or water column information. The 175HW is better at shallow water fish detection (<100m) and the 200B-5 at looking for feed layers/thermoclines.

Snips

I believe the 295 cannot auto select the ss175hw? (i cant find it in the TXDCR list)

Snips can this issue be the wrong transducer type selected or maybe wrong frequency and bandwidth in the Manual XDCR Setting menu?

I believe the ss175hw is 150 to 250khz, so would you input 200khz as the base frequency and then input a bandwith of 100Khz?

I assume that tapping A is correct for the SS295hw? It is not mentioned in the 295 installation manual.

PS i know Serge & am trying to help him with this issue.

Mark

Back