FCV-292 Locked up then grey screen

musicmanjer

Hey Johnny and other forum folks,

So I know this sounder is old and after a year of working a $70k boat rebuild, I dont have the funds to replace my 3kw FCV 292 sounder.
2 days ago we were bottom fishing and my sounder froze up, 537’ stopped scanning. I rebooted it and it gave me a grey screen, and a solid tone. Did not go through its normal startup cycle.
I know the requisite answer is “replace it” but we are commercial fishermen and my crew and I depend on fishing for a living. We do not have $8-9k for a new system, haul-out for new transducer, etc.
Is there something I can check on to revive this unit? We depend on it to fish. My Furuno RDP139 has a 600 watt finder, but it wont work for the 700-1000’ we fish for Opakapaka and Gindai (snappers).
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mahalo,

musicmanjer,

It sounds like a that that your FCV292's Main Board has failed.

Unfortunately, these main boards for this unit are no longer available. One option is finding another FCV292 that someone is selling, or you can send your FCV292 to Furuno's Service Department in Camas, WA. It might be able to be repaired, but due to the age of unit there is no guarantees.

- Deep Blue

musicmanjer,

It sounds like a that that your FCV292's Main Board has failed.

Unfortunately, these main boards for this unit are no longer available. One option is finding another FCV292 that someone is selling, or you can send your FCV292 to Furuno's Service Department in Camas, WA. It might be able to be repaired, but due to the age of unit there is no guarantees.

- Deep Blue
Thanks Deep blue. Ive already contacted Max Marine Elec in Florida as they have a used unit that I can buy to replace mine. I like to have redundant units anyway, so Ill see if Furuno can even fix my old one. Ill give them a call and see.

Back