FA50 -> 1835: no target display after thunder storm

Winnerdan

My FA50 is connected via NMEA 0183 (422) to my M1835 (38.4K). Last October I sailed through a thunder storm. One time a lightning was very close. Since then the AIS targests are not shown any more on the radar display. I made the Com Port test and the result was NG. All other tests were OK. What do you recommend? Best. Daniel

The self test of the NMEA ports requires that you put on loopback connections. Without loopback connections they always say NG. You have heading, Position, and AIS connected and operational and not seeing any targets? If someone forgets to turn on the heading source (maybe autopilot) it will be missing what it needs to show data. What are the lights doing on the FA50?

Loop back connections: the white (from FA50) and the yellow wire (to 1835) were connected during the test, as well as the blue (from FA50) and the green wire (to 1835). The 1835 standby screen shows all the required data: heading (from B&G compass), position (from B&G Zeus chart plotter); all this data in to the 1835 NMEA 1 via NMEA 0183 (4800); the 1835 is in True Motion display. The FA50 self test regarding reception showed 25 active stations. They only don't appear any more on the 1835 display (in via NMEA 2 - 38400). FA50 lights: Power is on, ER is off, TX on in blue from time to time, RX blinking on a regular basis.

Sounds like the FA50 is working normally.

When I say "Loopback", it has nothing to do with other connected devices. You would disconnect your NMEA device(s) from the 1835 then "Loop back" the output of the 1835 data port right back into the input of the same port. In this case, the 1835 is talking to itself. When you run the test it puts out test data via the output it should see back on the input wires, to know both the output and input of that port are working. Without looping back, open, or connected to other things it will always result in "NG" (aka No Good). If you want to test your NMEA port of the 1835, you should try a loopback.

Back