FA-150 to NMEA2k2

Never Sip

I currently have the Commercial FA-150 unit for a recreational vessel. From the transponder I have one remote display, as well as through COM2 connected through the Furuno: If-NMEA2K2 (NMEA Data converter) which is feeding into my NMEA2000 backbone. From the backbone I am feeding the NMEA2000 data through an Actisense NGT-1 (USB) for data coms to a PC (TimeZero). I am not confident that it is all hooked up correctly, as I have just taken over as Captain. I am getting poor GPS signals, lost AIS data, heading compass loss etc.
I understand that a lot of isolated events can be going on, but I first want to be sure that the "Furuno Data Converter" is wired correctly into Com2 within the FA-150 transponder box.

Thank you for all thoughts and considerations in advance.

You can try connecting it bi-directional but it is possible the commercial unit won't accept any 0183 data from the converter due to the $GP talker id. Much depends on the software version in the AIS. Wiring on COM2 would have a jumper from pin 7 to pin 8 as indicated by note 4 of the interconnection diagram to strap the port to 38,400 baud (IEC61162-2). The converter would need to have the purple wire cut from the factory strap to put it into AIS mode. It should be connected briefly on the 2000 bus for power to sense the mode change and then disconnected and re-connected for final operations.

The the color code would be as follows:
Com2 -------------- IF-NMEA2k2
Pin 1 TD+ -- PINK
Pin2 TD- -- PINK/BLK
Pin 3 Ground -- Gray
Pin 4 RD+ -- LightBlue/Yellow
Pin 5 RD- -- LightBlue/Green
Pin 6 NOT USED
Pin 7----\
Pin 8 ---/

Other wires not used and should be strapped back not touch each other or any metal.

Back